Stack Pack Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Knott

I have been thinking about trying a retro-fit to our main sail. The doyle stackpack design is soooo easy to use,and our cumbersome mainsail cover on our 380 is such a pain threading it through the lazy jacks, that I was wondering does anyone know of a way to do this short of buying a new mainsail from Doyle with the stackpack alreaady designed onto it? I'm happy with the sail, I'd just like a easier way to put it away with going to roller furling. Anyone with info on adding a doyle type stackpack cover to an existing sail, I'd love to hear about it for my winter project. Thanks Bob Knott H 380

R

Richard Owen

Try 460 system

Our 460 has a "Hunter Pak" which covers the main. This system has no connection to the type of main and wouldn't requires a sail change. I think any sailmaker or canvas man could build one quite easily - just have him visit a 460 with standard rig. They have integrated the lazy jacks into the system very well. It works well - the cover stays on the boom (attached by a tube fastened to the boom). You just stuff the sail in and zip it up. The new sail takes a bit of work the first few times (could have used a bit more cloth on the forward end), but it is much better than a traditional cover. I think it would be a good addition and not too difficult. They have used a piece of nominal 1/2" plastic tube as a stiffener on each side. ROwen

M

Mike Wade

U K Sails Lazy Cradle

On my previous Vision 32 I added a UK Lazy Cradle which worked great and eased the work load. On my new Passage 420 I found the cheap imitation of a UK design terrible. I just added the UK Lazy Cradle with the Tide Marine Strong Track system and it all works great. The sail is easy to store with the Lazy Cradle and with the Strong Track system the main comes down in a flash. A worthwhile investment in effortless sailing and safety.

D

Don

check out dutchman

Dutchman makes a system that will retrofit a mainsail. Someone suggested it to me when I added lazyjacks. I wish I had taken their advice. They have a web site at http://www.sailnet.com/dutchman/ which tells all about it. Good luck. If you do this, let me know how it works. I might still just bite the bullet.

D

Dan Ebert

H240 Stack Pack

I added the stack pack to my little H240. I thought it was the best way to go. I sent Doyle my main sail(which was a Doyle) and they did the change over for about $687.00. After a few times of climbing over the top of the cabin and screaming at my wife for the sail tie's, we had to change the way things were done. It is now great just to drop the main and zip up the cover. I just don't see you guys with the big boats doing the sail tie thing. Only real problem with the STACK-PACK is raising the full batten main. On real winding days(10 knots +) the batten sometimes get hung up in the lazy jack lines. I use the boat hook to push it back. Wife loves the system. Hope this is some help from one of the little guy's.

C

carol donovan

UK Lazy Cradle

Bob: We originally requested a Dutchman system on our new H410 and were told that neither the dealer nor Hunter would warranty the UK sail or the Dutchman system if we insisted on that configuration. The full roach main is too much windage for a Dutchman. We did put lazy jacks on instead. We have since seen several larger Hunters with Dutchman systems that have broken (one boat owner told us they have had 3 systems replaced on their H430). Never having heard of the Lazy Cradle, we first asked Doyle about retrofitting a Stack Pack. They would not warranty the UK sail and the Stack Pack is integrated to the sail - but they did offer to make a new main with the Stack Pack for $6,300 plus installation and would need my main for 45 days (we sail year 'round so this was very disappointing)!!! Hoping that possibly UK Sails had an alternative, we called them and found out that they can retrofit the Lazy Cradle very easily and it's only about $1,500 installed. It was ordered last week and is being installed on the 8th - and we don't lose a day of sailing. It is independent of the main and runs with the lazy jacks. One zipper runs the length of the container, and it can be rolled out of the way with the lazy jacks. As with any new sail cover/container, it will be a snug fit until the sail loosens up a bit, but it sure beats trying to get the H410 sail cover on and off, especially over a full dodger/bimini. Fair winds, /c s/v Twilight

B

Bob Knott

Carol Donovan, How's the lazy cradle?

Carol, When you get the lazy cradle installed please let me/us know how it works. do you have a digital camera to post pics in foto forum? Also if you send me you personal e-mail address I've got lots of questions about this system i'd like to ask you off-line Thanks Bob Knott S/V Serenity H380 rjkphotog@capecod.net

Status
Not open for further replies.