ST6001 Doesn't Track Under Sail

Jun 10, 2019
Beneteau First 36.7 Marina Village, Alameda
I've got an Raymarine ST6001 on my First 36.7. It seems to track the course well enough under auxiliary power in a flat seaway, but it loses tracking in disturbed seas or under sail. In particular when sailing in moderate winds with weather helm, the pilot will quickly veer to leeward in a lull or weather in a puff and not compensate. Eventually the master alarm will go off and manual control has to be regained.

I see there is a auto-calibration capability in the ST6001, does anyone have any experience having to re-run calibration periodically after commissioning?

The only change I've made to the system since commissioning is adding the E8500 NMEA SeaTalk Converter to add GPS tracking to the pilot. The behavior is the same whether tracking to the fluxgate compass, the GPS, or AWA.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I had similar problems , finally broke down and upgraded to the EV100 . I can tell you night and day ,It doesn't even move off the track even in heavy waves. Also you can set it to wind vane ,adjust your sails and it stays dead on the wind angle

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You have to change the rudder sensitivity for different sea states. Default setting is #2.

The main reason is your rudder surface area changes as your boat goes over bigger waves.
Jim...