ST5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Aston

Having got my mind clear on the Espar heater, I now have to choose an autohelm. I would really like to save money and buy the Raymarine ST5000 rather than the ST6000. Has anyone got experience of the ST5000 on the C350?

J

John

ST 5000 on the C350

I have the 5000 on my 350, which I've sailed extensively this season. Works fine and will steer the boat under either power or sail. Simple to operate and great for single-handing.

T

Tim

Agreed

Agree with John - the ST5000+ installed on my 350 has been very nice. Controls are very intuitive, the auto tack feature is very handy for when the admiral just wants to hang out, and the interface with my NMEA chartplotter works just as expected. From what I can tell, the current drain is very low, and it seems to keep up with rolling seas pretty good. Good unit in my opinion. Tim April IV C350 #68 Seattle, WA

A

Andy

Also Agreed ST 5000 is your best bet for the 350 both in operation and in economics. We have taken some long trips coupling the ST5000 to the RL70CRC. It wakes us when we arrive exactly at our destination, then we have to work again to get the boat ready for landing. The ST5000+ is $2182.00 (Not the Catalina dealer price!)You can not beat the return on investment! Andy

C

cmhyland

Wakes us?

EEEEKKKK! Andy, I hope your joking about waking you up and mearly stating it gets your attention! Sleeping while underway with only the autopilot running and with nobody on watch is a death wish !! I'm not trying to give anybody a hard time and maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but lets all be safe boaters out there. For our own sake and others. Regards, Chris

M

Matt Boulton

Consider the Simrad WP30

I installed a Simrad WP30 three seasons ago on our C36 and have been very pleased with its performance. Installation was simple, and it has operated well in a variety of conditions. You can purchase one for about $750.

M

Mike Aston

Wish I could

Alas, I understand you cannot fit a wheel drive type auto helm to a C350 but thanks for the rsponse.

I

Ivana

I think almost all C350 owners who have installed autopilots have installed the ST5000. It works great except I have found the boat to yawl a lot in following seas and it is more efficient to handsteer when possible. Any thoughts out there to those who have installed the gyro compass which I do not have. Does this help keep the boat steady in following seas?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

WOW, Andy : long trips coupling the ST5000 to the RL70CRC. It wakes us when we arrive exactly at our destination Snooze alarm???????? Ivana: try the link. The fluxgat technology has NOT improved at least for our sized yachts, since these articles were written a few years ago. Sure, a gyro compass would help. Wanna buy QE2? Stu

T

Tom S.

I'm not sure a gyro compass is going to help

in following seas. The reason that you can steer the boat a bit better than an autopilot in those conditions is because you can see the folowing sea coming and react to the wave by turning the helm "before" the wave hits, mitigating the boat going off course. having a better compass wouldn't really help in those conditions. You need two things to make that work a little better a fast and powerful autohelm coupled with a really good seastate algorithm (software) in the autopilot that can anticipate and time the yaw and pitch of the boat from the seas.

S

Steve Wark

Raymarine GyroPlus

I have the Raymarine GyroPlus2 installed. The literature (see www.raymarine.com) claims that it improves autopilot performance by detecting yaw... I have no idea if it is an improvement, since I don't use the autopilot that much... I had it installed primarily for the MARPA benefits...

G

George

ST6001+

I put the 6001+ on my boat b/c I wanted the Gyro compass coupled with the software algorithm. Raymarine calls this "Autolearn technology". In engineering we call it a PID loop. Even though the seas are coming from behind, a PID loop can learn the appropriate level of response. This should be especially efective where the input is somewhat rythmic like a seastate. My new boat and Auto was sailing (tracking) fine in 25 knots on a broad reach in the Gulf of Mexico last week. Seas were about four ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.