ST4000 heading is 180 off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
We installed a newer control head for our ST4000 autopilot and the displayed heading is off by 180 degrees. I double checked the wiring at the head and it's correct. Never had this problemm with the old control head and we haven't changed anything on the flusgate compass. Any ideas on how to correct the situation?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Did you go through the set up routine? It's in the manual. If you don't have one, you can probably download it. If that doesn't fix it, try the Raymarine data base. I have found it to be very helpful and complete. Good luck.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
Seems like I have overcome every problem with my 10 year old ST4OOO. This is something new. You said you checked the wiring, but you may need to check again. It's usually a wiring issue .Does the unit steer correctly? Is it just the screen that shows 180* off. I can't offer much more without more info.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Simple I think

If you have done the compass calibration, and it is still out by 180, just switch the wires from the fluxgate at the control module. The red and green I think. I had the exact same problem, and took three calls to raymarine before I got someone who knew squat. But when I finally managed to get someone who knew what was going on, problem solved.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
BTW, my Autohelm 7000 had the same issue a couple of years ago. I did a re-install on it and it has been fine since.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
The installation instructions...

on my new Raymarine S-1 autopilot shows the fluxgate compass mounted so it is "facing forward". That is, it's screwed to the foreward side of an aft bulkhead or mounting. Could it be that you've mounted yours facing aft?

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
It sounds like you are trying to head north to early. It will most likely work correctly in a month or so!

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
When I installed the RPS onto a previously carefully calibrated 4000+, the compass indication on the autopilot readout became about 90 degrees off. Autopilot worked fine, but readout was off. I did the re-calibration and compass alignment and was able to get it reading correctly.. Might be as Nice/Easy says to get ya close.
RayMarine's master reset may be in order.. Stand on one foot.... close one eye... circle right hand slowly.. You get the picture.. I can send it if ya don't have it.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
I second the advice to scrutinize the orientation of the flux compas.

This winter I noticed my S2 autopilot could not maintain coarse alignment. My flux compas was mounted below a drawer down near the sole under the dining setee. Unbeknownst to me, there was an old tin can that was rolling around down there. The few times I looked at the compas, the can was rolled inboard where I couldn't see it. Every time I took the boat out and sailed on a starboard tack, the can would roll inboard and screw up the compas. That was a tough situation to diagnos.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Fluxgate Facing??

on my new Raymarine S-1 autopilot shows the fluxgate compass mounted so it is "facing forward". That is, it's screwed to the foreward side of an aft bulkhead or mounting. Could it be that you've mounted yours facing aft?
I second this prognosis!
You say you got a new control head and it is off by 180 degrees...
Well, when I installed my brand new ST4000+ MKII a couple years back I was faced with the dilema of finding the right place to install it. It turned out to be just below the companionway ladder right at the cabin sole but I was concerned someones heel would land on it so I put it in behind facing aft. I knew this was going to be a problem because I tested it while taping it in place facing forward and aft. I took my chances and mounted it facing aft, then went out and did my sea trials and swung the compass while correcting for 180 degrees. Yes, it worked, my compass now behaves as if it was facing forward.
Your previous owner likely did the same thing as me and when you got a new control head you did not do the sea trial and correct for the 180 degrees of an aft facing fluxgate. New control head needs to be calibrated to the boat. Check to see which way the compass is facing. From anothers viewpoint here, it never occurred to me to switch the wires around to the opposite connection, I wonder if that would have worked for me, too late now, what's done is done and it works like a charm.:dance:

Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
Thanks for all the good advice. I just got the boat in the water after an 18 month overhaul (see my album) so no, I haven't gone through the calibration routine yet. I do have a pdf version of the manual and have printed the three pages of compas calibration instructions so we'll give that a try after checking to be sure the wires aren't reversed at the fluxgate end of the harness. Hopefully we'll be headed East, not North, to a new slip at Island Cove in Pensacola Monday and will get it sorted out on the way. Can't wait to start sailing around Pensacola Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.