St. Lucia

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Just snagged round trip tickets to St. Lucia for a crazy good price, so now we're considering doing a bareboat charter as well. Has anyone here sailed in that area before? It will be January 2024. We did the British Virgin Islands in January a few years back and absolutely loved it.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Over several visits we've done the eastern Caribbean chain from Barbuda to Grenada.. It's 'open ocean' sailing, often in pretty solid trades between islands - and the fetch starts in Africa.. Still, it's pretty nice sailing, mostly reaching, and 40-50 miles in distance so a nice daysail at 7-9 knots in most boats. Squalls are frequent, as are rainshowers, they can slam you pretty good but you can usually see them coming.
Most islands (save Saba) have decent lee side anchorages and harbours.

The non-french islands have a strong 'boat boy' culture which you can choose to utilize or not.. understand that it's a good part of their economy and I believe there's a certain amount of 'security' inherent is using them - and possibly the opposite if you don't.

I think in the past decade St Vincent has been a less than popular stop, but we stopped at Wallalaboo without incident some years back. The Tobago Cays are spectacular, Les Saintes off Guadaloupe is a pleasant place to visit, and we would put Bequia on the list too. Depending on how far south you want to go, Carriacou is a delight; no cruise ship influence and very friendly people.

You do have to deal with customs officials often, as nearly every island is a new country.

Feb 28, 2022
Wow thanks for the info. I'll have to plot all these on the map. We're only going to be there for a week, so we're looking at a 5 day charter, so we'd most likely do just St. Lucia to Martinique. Here's the map of Sunsail's suggested 5-day itinerary.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 3.05.28 PM.png

Feb 28, 2022
Tell me more about the boat boy culture you've experienced, especially if it was at St Lucia or Martinique. When we did BVI's, we really only had trash collectors come out, but they might have had ice as well. I'm reading that some help with hooking up to mooring balls even.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We keep our boat in Marigot during Summer. Very few places with comfortable overnight anchorages or nearby conveniences. Beautiful island with lots to do inland but not a lot of options to cruise unless you go to Grand Anse.
Check out Sunsail’s reviews.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Tell me more about the boat boy culture you've experienced, especially if it was at St Lucia or Martinique. When we did BVI's, we really only had trash collectors come out, but they might have had ice as well. I'm reading that some help with hooking up to mooring balls even.
Don't think you'll find them in Martinique, it's part of France. Sadly, St Lucia is the one island we've spent little time at so can't say exactly what you might run into on the 'boat boy' front there.

We have had them meet us miles out to try to 'snag' our business. Sometimes rowing!! but usually skiffs with the ubiquitous Yamaha 70 outboard. They will variously offer to get you to a buoy, run a shore line, arrange water delivery, at one point one of them came aboard and helped hand bomb the anchor and rode. Generally friendly but sometimes a tad aggressively so. At one point we were met offshore, but our hosts had previously used one of this fellow's competitors so wanted to stick with him - that was accepted as fine.

They are very prevalent on St Vincent...

You're sure to find them at the Pitons.. offering buoys or anchoring assistance. I'd expect you'll run into them at any other St Lucia anchorages that are not marina bases. The marinas at Le Marin on Martinique are pretty impressive! as are most marinas on the Euro/French islands.

Enjoy! You'll be grateful for the wind because otherwise the heat is stifling!!