ST-60 (ST1) Network to NMEA 2000

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I get asked this electronics question more than just about any other from customers who have a perfectly operating Sea Talk 1 network. Most often the question is related to the older ST-60 instruments that operate on the SeaTalk 1 network...

The conversion from ST1 to STng/NMEA 2000 is simple:

You just need a Raymarine E22158 ST 1 to STng conversion kit and either a male or female STng to NMEA 2000 drop cable:
Male STng to NMEA 2K = A06046
Female STng to NMEA 2K = A06045

A lot of folks don't realize that STng is essentially NMEA 2000 and once your ST1 data is converted into STng/NMEA 2000 the conversion & connection to the rest of the vessels N2K bus is simple..

The ST1 to STng converter is actually a small electronic signal converter that has operational software doing the conversion & its not just a bus or "fancy terminal strip" as some assume it is.

WARNING: I have seen a number of individuals physically damage equipment or disable a complete N2K system by trying to hard-wire an older ST1 network to STng or NMEA 2000 networks. YOU CAN NOT DO THIS! It requires proper language conversion.

Connection to a standard NMEA 2000 network will look similar to this:

This upgrade will run you slightly over $100.00 to get your SeaTalk 1 data converted over to NMEA 2000 based electronics.

Important Notes:
If the E22158 converter is used only as a drop device to port ST1 over to N2K, and is not at the end of a back bone, or in a backbone, you would not use any terminators in the blue ports.

#2 If the E22158 converter is the end of a back bone, as shown here, a blue terminator would be used. Terminators are only used at either end of a back bone otherwise you would use Raymarine "blanking plugs" in drop ports or NMEA 2000 "blanking caps" to protect any unused future expansion ports.

#3 CAUTION: Only two terminators per N2K network. One at each end. I've seen DIY installations using in excess of 12 terminators and no, the systems were not working...

#4 If the ST1 network is already powered, and you are connecting to an already powered N2K network, you need to disconnected the red power feed wire for the ST1 network. Having two sources of power can create a potential for ground loops.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Maine Sail, you just boosted my self confidence. I did this type of installation on my boat last year exactly as you described. It works flawlessly.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
I've done this on a number of boats (both mine and others) and it breathes new life back into the older ST series instruments with newer chart plotters. Takes some additional bits and pieces as you outline beyond the converter itself, but a very economical upgrade.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
A common install oops is trying to use a SeatalkNG to N2K device cable (A0645 or A0646) to convert a NMEA 2000 backbone to a SeatalkNG backbone. This results in a split backbone that at best can be flaky at worst fails completely. If you want to connect a SeatalkNG backbone to a NMEA backbone cut a blue SeatalkNG cable in two and wire a field installable N2K end on one of the cut portions.

Les

Feb 6, 1998
A common install oops is trying to use a SeatalkNG to N2K device cable (A0645 or A0646) to convert a NMEA 2000 backbone to a SeatalkNG backbone. This results in a split backbone that at best can be flaky at worst fails completely. If you want to connect a SeatalkNG backbone to a NMEA backbone cut a blue SeatalkNG cable in two and wire a field installable N2K end on one of the cut portions.

Les
An A06045 or A06046 drop cable won't physically plug into a STng backbone blue port. The white drop ports have 6 pins and the blue backbone ports are 5 pin. In other words you can't physically plug a white "drop cable" into the blue backbone port. Can you explain in better detail how this is a common problem? Clearly I must be misinterpreting what you said...?

May 20, 2016
Your correct the white connector will not plug into a blue receptacle. Basically twice I’ve seen a N2K backbone and a SeatalkNG backbone incorrectly “bridged”using the A0604x cable at device nodes. When I asked why the did it this way they said that it was the only way premade cables connected up. Note the network described above is bad bad bad, and doesn’t conform to either SeatalkNG or N2K specifications.

The only way to connect a SeatalkNG backbone to a N2K backbone is to cut a blue SeatalkNG cable and wire on N2K ends.

Feb 6, 1998
Your correct the white connector will not plug into a blue receptacle. Basically twice I’ve seen a N2K backbone and a SeatalkNG backbone incorrectly “bridged”using the A0604x cable at device nodes. When I asked why the did it this way they said that it was the only way premade cables connected up. Note the network described above is bad bad bad, and doesn’t conform to either SeatalkNG or N2K specifications.

The only way to connect a SeatalkNG backbone to a N2K backbone is to cut a blue SeatalkNG cable and wire on N2K ends.
I'm still not understanding how they achieved this? The white end of an STng Drop cable will not fit into the blue back bone socket?

Mar 15, 2009
2 30 mk1 catawba island, Ohio
I just found this older post which addresses my project. I currently have no wind information going to my chartplotter and this prevents me from getting some useful data. I want to connect my Raymarine ST60+ wind instrument to my Garmin 541S chartplotter so that I get a readout of VMG on the plotter. The ST60+ is Seatalk 1, of course. The plotter is connected to my S1 autopilot by NMEA 0183, and to satellite weather by NMEA 2000, so I already have NMEA 2000 going to the plotter.
I just purchased the Raymarine E22158 converter but am unsure of the connections/terminators.
1. I connect the converter to the Seatalk 1 system through an existing ST1 junction block.
2. ST1 and NMEA 2000 networks are already powered so no power needed to converter
3. Connect converter to NMEA backbone with drop cable.
4. Do I need terminators on the converter? This is my main question.

Everything works well now. I don't want to screw things up. At this time the NMEA 183 network and the NMEA 2000 network are separated as the only thing on the latter is the sat weather receiver and plotter. Am I creating the potential for a monster if the autopilot, connected to wind and speed by ST1 and to the plotter by NMEA 183, is now connected to NMEA 2000 via the ST1 network? Do I also need to link the autopilot to the plotter via the ST1 converter through NMEAA 2000 or can I leave the existing connections alone?

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
You can’t use a drop cable to connect the E22158 to your backbone using a white SeaTalkNG to N2K cable - as it will cause a split backbone with 3 terminating resistors

instead buy a SeaTalkNG backbone cable and cut it in two. On one of the pieces screw on a N2K field installable connector. Now connect the E22158 to the modified cable, remove your terminator from the N2K network and connect the blue cable to your network. Install a blue terminator in the other blue reciprocals on the E22158 and black blank plugs in any of the empty white ones, and your ST1 network intothe yellow.

Mar 15, 2009
2 30 mk1 catawba island, Ohio
You can’t use a drop cable to connect the E22158 to your backbone using a white SeaTalkNG to N2K cable - as it will cause a split backbone with 3 terminating resistors

instead buy a SeaTalkNG backbone cable and cut it in two. On one of the pieces screw on a N2K field installable connector. Now connect the E22158 to the modified cable, remove your terminator from the N2K network and connect the blue cable to your network. Install a blue terminator in the other blue reciprocals on the E22158 and black blank plugs in any of the empty white ones, and your ST1 network intothe yellow.
Thanks, Leslie. I think I understand. I should also disconnect the red power lead feeding the ST1 network or sever the red lead from the E22158 to ST1 , since power will be supplied by the NMEA 2000 feed, correct?

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
If your N2K net is already powered up you don’t need the supplied red/black cable. SeaTalk is not powered so nothing needs to be done other than connect the yellow wire.

May 24, 2019
Hunter 33 Ixtapa Mexico
I get asked this electronics question more than just about any other from customers who have a perfectly operating Sea Talk 1 network. Most often the question is related to the older ST-60 instruments that operate on the SeaTalk 1 network...

You just need a Raymarine E22158 ST 1 to STng conversion kit and either a male or female STng to NMEA 2000 drop cable:

A lot of folks don't realize that STng is essentially NMEA 2000 and once your ST1 data is converted into STng/NMEA 2000 the conversion & connection to the rest of the vessels N2K bus is simple..

The ST1 to STng converter is actually a small electronic signal converter that has operational software doing the conversion & its not just a bus or "fancy terminal strip" as some assume it is.

WARNING: I have seen a number of individuals physically damage equipment or disable a complete N2K system by trying to hard-wire an older ST1 network to STng or NMEA 2000 networks. YOU CAN NOT DO THIS! It requires proper language conversion.

This upgrade will run you slightly over $100.00 to get your SeaTalk 1 data converted over to NMEA 2000 based electronics.

Important Notes:
If the E22158 converter is used only as a drop device to port ST1 over to N2K, and is not at the end of a back bone, or in a backbone, you would not use any terminators in the blue ports.

#2 If the E22158 converter is the end of a back bone, as shown here, a blue terminator would be used. Terminators are only used at either end of a back bone otherwise you would use Raymarine "blanking plugs" in drop ports or NMEA 2000 "blanking caps" to protect any unused future expansion ports.

#3 CAUTION: Only two terminators per N2K network. One at each end. I've seen DIY installations using in excess of 12 terminators and no, the systems were not working...

#4 If the ST1 network is already powered, and you are connecting to an already powered N2K network, you need to disconnected the red power feed wire for the ST1 network. Having two sources of power can create a potential for ground loops.

Important Notes:

Hello Main Sail

This is Ernesto, I have a question, i am traying to connect my old ST40 autopilot system with two Garmin chartploter, I am connecting the E22158 this way: 1 attaching the cable #1 A06047 (white cap) Seatalk1 to Seataltng converter to the ST40 control unit. The cable#2 A22164 yelow cap STng to Seatalk1 Speed unit, this is because when i cut the power the ST40 speed display is turn off. I made a test changing the connection to the control unit and the solve was the same. Cable #3 white cap A06045 Seatalkng TO NMEA2000K BUS. The problem is that I can see the ST40 in the chartploter, I only see the E22158 unit. I am getting the led status ok 4 seconds no blink and 3 long blink led status. I am attaching some pictures, can you help me what do I am doing bad?. or what do i need. I appreciate your help. Thanks

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Nope Nope. You need a blue SeaTalkNG cable, cut one end off, and hook up a N2K field installable end. The white SeaTalkNG to devicenet is ONLY for hooking to devices not extending N2K backbones to SeaTalkNG (Main talked about just what you did as bad bad).

May 20, 2016
Note ther is no commercially available cable to do this. You need to make your own.

May 24, 2019
Hunter 33 Ixtapa Mexico
Realy Leslie?.... thanks in advance for the information. are the same color cables in both cables?, I mean are the nmea2k inner cables the same colors in the SeaTalkng color cable? or do you have a diagram how to connect it?. Thank you for your replay and your help.

May 24, 2019
Hunter 33 Ixtapa Mexico
Leslie: As you can see in my picture 03 I can see the E22158 converter from my Chartploter Garmin 942, via the Cable # 3 white cap A06045 Seatalk Ng TO NMEA2000K BUS, thats why I am seeing like device not like a bus?. Thanks again

May 20, 2016
Yes the colors are the same between N2K and SeaTalkNG. In SeaTalkNG the backbone is always blue cable. Devices are always white ( even to N2K devices). If you look at your network you have either 3 or 4 terminators.

This configuration is called a split buss and is an illegal configuration. Sometimes they work mostly not and can be intermittent

May 20, 2016
One question. Is the SeaTalkNG to N2K cable connecting to a device like chart plotter? Or is it connecting to a existing N2K network?? I assumed the latter in response above. If the former, make sure either the ST1 or the NG is powered.

May 24, 2019
Hunter 33 Ixtapa Mexico
Hi Leslie... yes I have connected the STng to the N2K bus and it is powered bye N2K. I already connect the Nmea0183 output of the chartploter to the autopilot input and this way I can navigate ok. My question is if I cut the blue cable to the STng what can I see in my chartploter? Do I will get an autopilot screen? Or I can move the autopilot from Active Captain app? Best regards