SSB Newbie Question

May 23, 2023
Jeanneau Voyage Puerto Galera, Mindoro, PH
Hi - on the boat I recently bought there is a Target HF3/W-HF3/P existing receiver. The backstay has a long insulated portion but the connection from the backstay to the receiver is missing. Would appreciate some input from more experienced users <G>
Note: currently plan to operate in receive mode, may purchase a transceiver later next year.

I plan to use a bulldog clamp to attach some Ancor GTO-15 to the insulated portion of the backstay, install an MFJ-722 lightning arrestor, and then run that to the receiver with RG58
1) all of the wiring setups I have seen on line have a tuner installed between the GTO-15 and the lightning arrestor; but the tuner I believe is only required when you are transmitting - which with the current setup I wont be - can I connect the GTO-15 directly to the MFJ-722? (there is no braid to connect??, just the center connector??) - the receiver I have has no control cable to control a tuner
2) Do I need to install a ground plane such as the KISS radial ground?? If so, what do I connect the ground to at the antenna side ?
Those are the questions I know about, if there are others I should be asking please let me know !!

My plan is to get the receiver working (my boat is in the Philippines), and see what sorts of SSB is available and active there before making the jump and installing a full blown SSB system on the boat

Advice welcome !
thx
Rick

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You won’t need a counterpoise - while it might enhance receive S/N ratio slightly, the benefit isn’t great. Just attach the ground side to any metal thruhull.

As for the tuner, all autotuners require a transmit signal to tune. As you have none, the tuner is useless and will serve only as a small insertion loss rather than provide any benefit.

Any lightning arrestor should be placed as close to the antenna is practicable and grounded.