SSB/HAM beginners study guide?

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I'd like to dive into the SSB/HAM radio world. I'd like to add one or the other to my sailboat eventually, but maybe even get something simple and basic setup soon to play with. Before i do i would really like to understand them both in detail. Can anyone recommend any particular books, youtube channels, websites that would teach an absolute beginner with zero previous knowledge all the theory, science, equipment, use etc in a way thats easy to understand and linear?

Right now im bouncing around from youtube channel to random website back to youtube channel, but its a frustrating way to learn. It would be nice to find a nice, linear explanation that would teach me the fundamentals step by step that i could build on later.

Any recommendations to shorten the curve would be much appreciated.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Most YouTube stuff I’ve seen isn’t very good at anything. Although the title is somewhat insulting, the “ham radio for dummies” books might serve you better.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Most YouTube stuff I’ve seen isn’t very good at anything. Although the title is somewhat insulting, the “ham radio for dummies” books might serve you better.
thank you. I will look for that one. I have read a few 'for dummies' books on other topics and generally they are pretty good. I forget about them.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check out AARL. They are the organization promoting amateur ham radio.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Check out AARL. They are the organization promoting amateur ham radio.

Oh nice. thank you.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I find this site offering on-line courses to be excellent. BTW, I sold my old marine SSB and replaced it with an ICOM 706 mkll which I purchased used and then had it opened for marine ssb channels. One day I will get my General so I can broadcast on it: Ham Radio Prep – Ham Radio Online License Class
Rick KK6TJW
That’s essentially a “study to the test” memorization aide which does work if the goal is to pass a test but doesn’t provide much in the way of learning which I infer is the OP’s goal.
While the FCC isn’t much interested in enforcement these days, using any ham transceiver on marine SSB frequencies is prohibited.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Hey, thanks for all the help. I bought 'HAM radio for dummies' and started reading it, plus found a decent youtube channel. The AARL website looks pretty good and i'll probably sign up when i have a little bit more knowledge. I dont think i will be able to afford an actual marine SSB radio for a while though. This might not happen 'till next year. Wow they are expensive, but at least i can start to learn about them so when i have the extra $ i can start actually listening in.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
That’s essentially a “study to the test” memorization aide which does work if the goal is to pass a test but doesn’t provide much in the way of learning which I infer is the OP’s goal.
While the FCC isn’t much interested in enforcement these days, using any ham transceiver on marine SSB frequencies is prohibited.
Yes, I know the 706 isn't type-certified. I simply wanted it available for emergencies. However, the USCG monitoring of marine SSB has, as you probably know, been vastly reduced.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I have no experience with SSB, I'm a coastal sailor but I read an interesting post (SSB/Starlink) on a Beneteau 393 io Group. The poster was on a 1000 mile passage from St Martian to the Bahamas (I'd love to repost it but not without the op's permission). What I think I learned is comparing the cost benefit Starlink is the better way to go. Seems he had engine issues that were remedied by sending pictures and getting fixes that would have been impossible by radio and got marine traffic and actual weather through Zoom Earth | Live Weather Map & Hurricane Tracker
Just a thought.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Not to downplay ssb and I know there are many sailors out there using it but I thought this was an interesting perspective on the subject. Mark, the op, gave me permission to share.

Yesterday we finished a 1,000 nm passage from Sint Maarten in the Caribbean and Georgetown, Bahamas, on my 393 Sea Life, using Starlink on Regional with optional Priority for the actual voyage at $2 per Gigabyte.
It was wonderful weather but an "eventful" trip in two very important parts that *Only* Starlink could have solved. I have previously used Iridium Go on a 3,500nm passage and know the differences intimately.
Our new engine, 4JH57 Common Rail needed its 1,000 hour service which I did prior to leaving, except the Valve Adjustment... so I got the Yanmar dealership in and they did the job that necessitates the removal of the Valve Cover (Rocker cover).
On replacing it they partially missed the O Ring!!!!!!!!!!! And must have leant on the Bosch fuel pump breaking the gasket.
So I had a oil leak AND a fuel leak!
To describe where, exactly, the oil and fuel were originating would be impossible on HF or VHF radio. Sending photos on Iridium Go is a joke, and video impossible. But Starlink provides the instant ability to send high resolution photos and videos, and do video diagnostic calls (And calls screaming at the dills who serviced my engine!!).
Not total fixes, but we were able to reduce both leaks to "Negligible" and carried on our passage with full engine ability.
As I sat down about 2am to reflect on the 2 day drama I spilled coffee all over my computer. My navigation computer. All my Nav charts for the tricky bahamas entry, indeed about 2 GBs of world charts.
We immediately switched to the back-up nav computer (Wifey comes to the rescue!), but some of my new Bahamas charts were not backed up. Again, Starlink is the only way to download large files at sea.
Sooooo, with Starlink on 24/7 for 7.5 days at $2 per GB, solving problems, we spent $21.89!
So thats emergency stuff, now lets quickly turn to weather. All I need to do it give you the Link to Zoom Earth: Zoom Earth | Live Weather Map & Hurricane Tracker
Now you never need PredictWind more than the basic level ever again. Starlink lets you instantly download the high resolution satellite images every 10 minutes so you dont have to forecast the weather as you SEE the weather.
MarineTraffic.com can be updated 24/7 via Starlink using one of 2 apps mAIS or OnCourse. mAIS is the better one as its easier to run in the background. Now families can track you properly world-wide on passage and give you a video call if they are worried.
Finally, let me touch on the active uses of HF radio, the radio nets. Basically they do not exist anymore. The "Coconut Telegraph" has only a few members, and these are very active, but few. They are 'not my sort of cruisers' as, generally, they are older folks who have been cruising in the one area for a longer time. Fewer HF users seem to be the younger, actively exploring types that invigorate me.
The cruising world has changed remarkably in the 15 years since I have been cruising "Sea Life" around the world. Indeed yesterday I nearly fell off my deckchair coming into Georgetown Bahamas for the first time in 10 years. The binoculars show NO cruising boats at all!!! Only huge catamarans and motor boats in that 50 to 60 foot range. No 393s! No 411's! No 423's! No 473's!!
As we got closer to dropping the hook in amongst the mooring balls off Chat & Chill ($7 beers!!!), I saw there are our size boats still... but theres huge boats surrounding them. Cruising is moving... its moving forward in some peoples perspectives, but advancing rearwards in other peoples.
My advice to anyone getting their 393 ready for a world cruise is not to spend $3,000 or $4,000 on HF radio, but to spend $500 on Starlink.... and pay the $21 for a 7 day "eventful" passage.
Even an HF antenna and ground plate will cost more than Starlink.

Mark

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Not to downplay ssb and I know there are many sailors out there using it but I thought this was an interesting perspective on the subject. Mark, the op, gave me permission to share.
Thanks Bob. Interesting perspective and i appreciate the post as im sure many others do. As far as Starlink and the advancement of sailing as described...thats exactly what im trying to avoid. I know its incredibly useful tool but when i shove off for my adventures, the last thing in the world i want is an internet connection like i do at home.

Im 40 now, not young, not old but the world of SSB and HAM reminds me of the earlier days of sailing and the excitement of discovering the world not many others see. Technology goes through phases and the shortwave world seems very active, although admittedly maybe not amoung sailors as much. Burnout on the instant gratification of modern tech is partially responsible for my interest in shortwave. I would be happier than a clam if there were even a dozen active users on SSB while cruising the world, but there is also just the allure of listening in on a signal from the other side of the world in a country far away that i would love to visit.

Im a little bit of an oddball i guess by todays standards, but i dont want to know everything in advance when i leave. I want my sailing to be an unpredictable adventure with ups and downs. Certainly i will have some modern tech for weather tracking major storms and emergency communication but i want to avoid that feeling of being connected to everything at all costs. Maybe one day i will revive SSB for a few dozen of us and make lifelong friends that sail our boats, not own 90 ft condos on the water with 80" bigscreen tv's. To each their own i guess...

That being said, I cant afford an SSB right now anyways but will buy a shortwave receiver with SSB so i can at least get experience learning how to use it while refitting the boat. Tecsun has some very nice receivers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
will buy a shortwave receiver with SSB
Assuming this hardware is to enable you to get weather information while off shore, you might also consider a transceiver that enables you to get Weather Grib Files. Using such data with a software package like LuckGrib can provide valuable safety information when sailing off shore or along the California coast line.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Assuming this hardware is to enable you to get weather information while off shore, you might also consider a transceiver that enables you to get Weather Grib Files. Using such data with a software package like LuckGrib can provide valuable safety information when sailing off shore or along the California coast line.
Interesting, thank you! Good to know. I have my eye on the Tecsun H501 for now as a beginning receiver. I figured when i have the $ and experience, maybe something like the icom M-803 or equivalent as my main radio on board.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the M-803. Icon has a good record of radio manufacturing.

I agree with the simple approach to sailing, you imply with your post. I am conflicted about the utility of Starlink. Especially as SBB communications is becoming a less popular (somewhat like the dialed land line phone) and being replaced by the “internet of everything”. The question for me is can I resist the allure of web surfing while retaining the access to innovative weather and safety information while sailing. :biggrin:

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I like the M-803. Icon has a good record of radio manufacturing.

I agree with the simple approach to sailing, you imply with your post. I am conflicted about the utility of Starlink. Especially as SBB communications is becoming a less popular (somewhat like the dialed land line phone) and being replaced by the “internet of everything”. The question for me is can I resist the allure of web surfing while retaining the access to innovative weather and safety information while sailing. :biggrin:
HAHA! I know i couldnt. As an active online gamer, its just not even possible, so the internet has to stay home. Im not implying i wont still have an X-Box and do a little gaming off the inverter in the middle of the ocean though....i mean lets be reasonable :p

• Ha