Squirrels!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Six of them in my anchor locker.
A friend called me a couple of days ago and said she saw squirrels chasing each other on my boat, it's on the hard for the winter. I climbed up the swim ladder (it was down) and looked around, one squirrel was near the bow and was not happy. It wanted to run past me and I figured out why, it was using the swim ladder to get up on the boat. After it left I looked around some more. Carefully opened the companionway, all good. Raised the anchor locker lid and there they were. One came out immediately, launched off the bow towards a frost fence, missed it and hit the ground running. Two more jumped off the bow as well. I went to the cockpit locker and got my dock pole (for protection, haha) and carefully went up front. I could see one more, buried in my anchor rode, and had to poke around to get it to come out. Using the hook I pulled rode out and found another of the rodents, it kept trying to bury further down. Finally it launched off the bow as well.
I could here my wife supporting me from the security of the truck, rounds of laughter coming from her........
I cleaned out the locker, they were settling in nicely for the winter. They entered the locker where the chain exits. I then plugged the access with a 2x2 and a heavy block.

So, my extension cord is ruined, sections of anchor rode are chewed and a couple of docklines are now garbage.
Other than needing to rant about this, I thought I would share the story so others can learn from this...plug the anchor locker exit hole!
Cheers
dj

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Ouch! Good thing you found them early...who k owns what that locker would look like by spring.

And don’t forget to raise the ladder when not in use.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Funny story DaveJ. At least I was smiling as I read it. You got admit they were pretty clever wanting to enjoy the sailing life with out the issues of water or swimming.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks for this warning. I found a varmint nest in a galley locker this spring. I couldn't recall ever having a rodent problem over the winter.

Now, thanks to your post, I realize I left a ladder on the stern most of the winter as I was in and out occasionally with a repair. There is no other way to get in as the boat is on jacks stands. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
Up here in the PacificNW "they don't need no stinking ladder"
to make them selves at home...
IMG_5985.JPG

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Sorry to hear that. Last year, after I returned from a 3 year overseas assignment I put my Hunter 386 in the water and started to clean her up. Then I discovered a bird nest in the anchor locker, another nest in the boom where the main sheet exits and spiders in the main sail furler section of the mast. What a mess. Got it all cleaned up though.

Nov 15, 2019
Beneteau 323 Annapolis
if it makes you feel better I have had squirrels on the boat while it was in the water. The nasty critters chewed hole through my brand new main. A friend of mine had several in their boom chewed threw the lines. That’s when we discovered squirrels also swim. They went scampering out of the boom, while the boom was off the side of the boat, splash right into the water. At that point they swam to shore. Climbed a bulkhead and the began to scamper to the nearest tree.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
one summer, boat was kept at it's mooring, i brought the boat over to the yacht club for two days to pack the boat for a run from sturgeon bay to chicago with the family. got all gear aboard and kids. got some last minute groceries just before departure and just quick through them in a secure spot. sailed 15 miles down the coast and pulled in to algoma to run the kids for an hour. while they went exploring i used the time to more properly stow the last minute goods. i pull out a fresh loaf of bread and i see that the cover is chewed on, what? then a loud hiss. it startled me (scared me) and i jumped back, seeing his opportunity an opossum jump out of a back cupboard and shot out the cabin and onto the dock, off and away.
maybe he was just trying to visit a cousin in algoma

Oct 22, 2014
if it makes you feel better I have had squirrels on the boat
Thank you for the thought, your misfortune does not make me feel better.

I empathize with your challenge. What is interesting and in a way helpful is to watch the reaction when a dog sees or senses a squirrel.

Those little critters play among our trees in the back yard the way a crew mans the rigging on a Tall Ship.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Up here in the PacificNW "they don't need no stinking ladder"
We have no squirrels on our island.Almost wish we had them instead of the River Otters that we do have. They make a much bigger mess than a couple of little squirrels. Don't tend to eat parts of the boat however!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
We have no squirrels on our island.Almost wish we had them instead of the River Otters that we do have. They make a much bigger mess than a couple of little squirrels. Don't tend to eat parts of the boat however!
Would you like me to send you some of ours?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Get a Standard Poodle for your squirrel problem. My last Standard caught and killed dozens. He was also a great sailor. Would have loved to discover a squirrel onboard. One came down our house chimney once. Buckwheat took chase. Squirrel went behind sofa and so did Buck. Squirrel somehow got inside my recliner and Buck stuffed his nose down between cushion and side and got squirrel's tail. Tug of war ensued leaving squirrel tail a bit shorter. Squirrel charged out through kitchen over the kitchen table and out the back door (I had opened). Buck followed exact same route over table and out door. Squirrel went under fence gate and Buck went over gate. That was the only time he ever scaled gate. Buck caught squirrel on other side and killed it. Left it lying on sidewalk as a warning to others. Entire episode took less than a minute. Imagine that scene in your boat cabin while at sea.
16D5893E-01A9-4CF3-9DD2-A6CC3630CFA1.jpeg
3CAA915B-83CC-48C3-A50C-C7F6FEA53A8E.jpeg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Get a Standard Poodle for your squirrel problem. My last Standard caught and killed dozens. He was also a great sailor. Would have loved to discover a squirrel onboard. One came down our house chimney once. Buckwheat took chase. Squirrel went behind sofa and so did Buck. Squirrel somehow got inside my recliner and Buck stuffed his nose down between cushion and side and got squirrel's tail. Tug of war ensued leaving squirrel tail a bit shorter. Squirrel charged out through kitchen over the kitchen table and out the back door (I had opened). Buck followed exact same route over table and out door. Squirrel went under fence gate and Buck went over gate. That was the only time he ever scaled gate. Buck caught squirrel on other side and killed it. Left it lying on sidewalk as a warning to others. Entire episode took less than a minute. Imagine that scene in your boat cabin while at sea.
View attachment 172497View attachment 172498
Hopefully, Buck thinned out the squirrel population, so they won't wander over to Town River Yacht Club, next door to you, where I keep my C310!

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
We had a problem with rodents at home and the fix I found should work on a boat (it also works on my car).

The squirrels were chewing on the bottom of the frame around the front door. The chipmunks took up residence under the hood of my car and chewed through wiring. I stopped into a local bird food/feeder/whatever store and asked for help. They pointed me to Cole's "hot meats." This is sunflower meats (stripped of the shells) coated with habenaro chile oil. Birds can eat these seeds with no problem (crows love them), but rodents get a flaming mouth from the chile oil.

I sprinkled the hot meats around the door, under the car and under the hood, as well as on the rail on the deck (tired of seeing squirrels sunning themselves on the rail). No more squirrels or chipmunks.

The chile oil shouldn't damage any boat parts, I don't think.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
We had a problem with rodents at home and the fix I found should work on a boat (it also works on my car).

The squirrels were chewing on the bottom of the frame around the front door. The chipmunks took up residence under the hood of my car and chewed through wiring. I stopped into a local bird food/feeder/whatever store and asked for help. They pointed me to Cole's "hot meats." This is sunflower meats (stripped of the shells) coated with habenaro chile oil. Birds can eat these seeds with no problem (crows love them), but rodents get a flaming mouth from the chile oil.

I sprinkled the hot meats around the door, under the car and under the hood, as well as on the rail on the deck (tired of seeing squirrels sunning themselves on the rail). No more squirrels or chipmunks.

The chile oil shouldn't damage any boat parts, I don't think.
Was in cabin heard tap - tap- tap. Thought couldn't be line not enough wind. Up in cockpit look forward saw
woodpecker tapping away on my rolled up jenny. Guess it was colorblind and other problems because had blue UV cover showing and
don't think that metal thing was a tree. Many small holes to repair.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose,CA

Oct 22, 2014
Well that may explains it... Was it a California forest or a Northern forest woodpecker flying down in the sunshine state for a holiday. It is difficult for some birds to fly south for the winter and not find the familiar tree to perch. Perhaps there were bugs on your sail, and it was just trying to lend a beak to help.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Well that may explains it... Was it a California forest or a Northern forest woodpecker flying down in the sunshine state for a holiday. It is difficult for some birds to fly south for the winter and not find the familiar tree to perch. Perhaps there were bugs on your sail, and it was just trying to lend a beak to help.
Good thought probably bugs guess I do appreciate his help now if he could only sew .

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA