Squeaky Rigid Boom Vang

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have an Offshore Spars rigid boom vang. It squeaks! I can't identify the component that is causing the squeak . Any ideas?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Test question!!................does your vang have a spring like the one Sparcraft Ocean Vang described in this Practical Sailor article? Also refer to the SBO thread post #5 below for his answer.

• Helpful

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Test question!!................does your vang have a spring like the one Sparcraft Ocean Vang described in this Practical Sailor article?
Yes!
Also refer to the SBO thread post #5 below for his answer.
Great, thanks. I've been planning on bringing it home to work on it this winter. I've already had it apart, so I know how it goes. I just didn't imaging the springs rubbing on the tube was the culprit. Any ideas other than grease?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do the springs have rough spots that could be smoothed out? Could be a quality thing.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Silicone spray as described in the thread below.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Silicone spray as described in the thread below.

Thanks, but there will never be any silicone or silicone spray on my boat! It makes wood and fiberglass impossible to refinish or repair properly if it gets on them.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I have had a spring-return hard vang for well over 20 years. Every so often it likes some "MacLube" sprayed into the inside thru whatever openings there are. Works fine. Also, after the first dozen years you should plan on pulling out the limit pin and repositioning it to a hole that puts more compression into the spring(s). We did that at about 20 years. Fine since and no sagging boom.

Link:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I have had a spring-return hard vang for well over 20 years. Every so often it likes some "MacLube" sprayed into the inside thru whatever openings there are. Works fine. Also, after the first dozen years you should plan on pulling out the limit pin and repositioning it to a hole that puts more compression into the spring(s). We did that at about 20 years. Fine since and no sagging boom.

Link:
I've tried lots of MacLube on this, hasn't solved the squeak.

After reading the PS article and looking at the options, I really like the Vang Mast, a pneumatic-spring vang. For my boat it would be in the $2,000 neighborhood, though, so a bit pricey.