Squeaks in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Witzend – in 2011 you posted a thread re squeaks from the engine/alternator belt/pump/s. Did you ever find the cause of the problem? Seem to be hearing similar noise: intermittent almost metallic chirping that seems to disappear when engine has run a while. Alternator runs freely without belt, but freshwater pump seems to be sticking/chafing inside a bit. Don’t want to take the raw water pump apart as yet, as I am trying to obtain all my maintenance parts direct from the US in one order if possible, to save freight,which seems to have increased quite a bit lately. I replaced it (Sherwood) 12 mths ago.

I did tighten the belt a few weeks ago, but had no problems until now.

Any info would be appreciated.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witzend – in 2011 you posted a thread re squeaks from the engine/alternator belt/pump/s. Did you ever find the cause of the problem? Seem to be hearing similar noise: intermittent almost metallic chirping that seems to disappear when engine has run a while. Alternator runs freely without belt, but freshwater pump seems to be sticking/chafing inside a bit. Don’t want to take the raw water pump apart as yet, as I am trying to obtain all my maintenance parts direct from the US in one order if possible, to save freight,which seems to have increased quite a bit lately. I replaced it (Sherwood) 12 mths ago.

I did tighten the belt a few weeks ago, but had no problems until now.

Any info would be appreciated.
Was not really a squeak, but more like a dry spun bearing sound. It would come and go. Never could figure out what was happening other than something to do with the injector pump. It seems to have subsided for now anyway. Just started up the engine first time this year, have yet to splash her, new job... ear surgery that went off the tracks, but hopefully next week we're wet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.