Spyder scraper for bottom paint removal.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I just saw a reciprocating saw attachment for use as a scraper. Has anyone tried one of these for removing bottom paint?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks interesting. Not sure I want to be the first to try it on my boats hull. Looks like it could easily make a big gouge in FRP or wall board. Not bad ehn the sub surface is solid like concrete or wood that you are going to cover.

Looks like an aggressive tool.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Saw these for sale at my local Menards this weekend.

It looks like it could work great on thick layers of paint (not the VC17 I use), or it could tear up your boat.

Use with caution I think. :banghead:

Greg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If I could turn my boat upside down it might be a tool that I wouldn't mind trying, but holding a heavy tool overhead might be more effort than it's worth.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
My Black and Decker multitool has the same sort of blades, except smaller. Loaned it to a neighbor and she took old tile up wit it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That thing works like a jack hammer, and would be useful for many applications, however removing bottom paint over a gel coat surface might be overly optimistic. Using it to take off thick growth, such as barnacles, could be a very handy tool.... if one makes sure the blade is not sharp so it won't cut into the gel coat.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Looks like overkill, I used a $19.00 oscillating multi tool from harbor freight, handled everything from barnacles to several layers of old paint. Ad another 10 for replacement scraper blades unless you have a grinding wheel to sharpen up the blade.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Someone here posted a chemical paint remover that you can make yourself to remove bottom paint. If you search you will be able to find it. I do like the tool you found though.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It occurs to me that it is meant to scrape flat surfaces. Your hull is a curved surface so it will not work nearly as well and could very well gouge it a bit deeper that you would like.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The last time I stripped the paint, I used a two-handed scraper. It is also made for flat surfaces but by changing the direction that you scrap, you can get most surfaces to be only slightly concave across the blade.