Springtime on the Bayou

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Just gotta love spring time on the bayou.....

This little guy (about 7') is out for a late morning suntan and is about a few hundred feet from one of the local marinas (where a few of the forum members from the New Orleans area keep their boats). Definitely no bottom job cleaning in this area.....

BC Gator.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Choootum!:biggrin:

Directions
Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Place alligator meat in a medium bowl, and mix with vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate about 10 minutes.
  • Step 2
    Pour oil into a large skillet to a depth of 1 inch, and heat over a medium-high flame.
  • Step 3
    Add to a large resealable bag the flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Squeeze off excess liquid from meat, and add one handful of meat to the resealable bag. Shake to coat. Remove meat, shake off excess flour, and set on a plate. Repeat with remaining meat.
  • Step 4
    When oil is hot, place meat pieces into oil, being careful not to overcrowd. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove to paper towels, and serve hot.
  • Step 5
    To prepare dipping sauce, mix together in a small bowl the mayonnaise, horseradish, brown mustard, and red wine vinegar.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
One time we were visiting one of the preserves in southern Florida which was the home of many large alligators. So we're standing on one of those bridges they have which span a fresh water creek and are loaded with big guys like the one above. We were admiring some large turtles in the creek. So the "naturalist" who was patrolling that area tells us "...should have been here yesterday. One of the "gators" grabbed a large turtle and it took him all day to crack the poor guy's shell.."
I would have taken great pleasure in shooting the SOB to save the turtle. I hate them. We actually sold our home in Florida because of alligators. I had seen a story where a guy was jogging along a creek with his dog. All of a sudden he hears his dog bark, then yelp. He turned around and his dog was gone. All he could see was a large swirl in the creek. I determined that none of my three were ever going to be grabbed by an alligator. And they are everywhere....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Which brings up the chance to post one of my favourite children songs by a great Canadian comedy music group...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Which brings up the chance to post one of my favourite children songs by a great Canadian comedy music group...
Disturbing. A fun song but I can't help thinking of that youngster who was grabbed by a gator at some Disney resort in front of his father. Awful!
I was cringing the other day when I saw a guy fishing with several youngsters by a pond I know has gators in it. Fishing in these ponds is not allowed but the HOA can't enforce the rule. I'm sure he knows the risk. But ... really?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
the HOA can't enforce the rule.
Hmm.. Why cant they ?

They could warn people of course, but after that it is up to "life happens"
Same with when they put railings at overlooks on cliffs.

And then someone may sue, even if warned.

Well publicized, horrible incidents would likely have a bigger effect than signs, or HOA rules unfortunately.

If i recall correctly the Disney incident was someone who wasnt aware ? Lords knows you would think a Floridian would know. I was warned in the 70s on trip to Ft Lauderdale as a kid.

A fun song
Their best song is "I am Cow". Likely on their YouTube channel. All firmly tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
HOA has only a few part time spies. Much better at finding a driveway that needs power washing or dirty roof. They post "No fishing" signs but some folks just ignore them.
I'll check out "I am a Cow." Still wading thru the Sea Chanties!