Spring Preparation

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Getting ready for spring sailing/cruising means completing maintenance tasks.

What is on your list?
  1. I got my CG safety inspection.
  2. My diver gave the bottom a scrub pronouncing the last years bottom paint lookin good.
  3. He removed the slime from the prop giving it a shine, and installed my new zinc. The old one was pretty well gone. 1C90EE7A-121C-45B9-BBE7-D8EFCCBD87D0.jpeg
  4. Checked the new fuel gauge against a physical inspection of the tank. Figure the gauge will read empty yet give me a 6hour reserve. Will need to compare the reading with a full tank and engine operating time count.
  5. Installed a new engine Hobbs clock (thank you @LeslieTroyer). I now have a way to account for engine run time. Something I guess the former owners did not consider important.
  6. Serviced the Starboard water tank. Fill - chlorinate - slosh about - wait. Empty and fill again. Follow @Peggie Hall HeadMistress book prescription for a fresh water supply.
That’s about it for now. Nice to do the engine in the fall.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
No such luck John. You caught me out when I tried to get Les's stash! I caved to your threats.

Oct 22, 2014
It was last in February that I tasted the morsels of delicious. I’m counting the days until Roche Harbor when rumor has it there will be a new batch discovered.

Jan 5, 2017
We will be with you in spirit with watering mouths! Prob. in Nanaimo for a visit with Bevs bro.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Getting ready for spring sailing/cruising means completing maintenance tasks.
6. You might want to read the instructions again...there's a little more to it than you described.
7. Lube the toilet (if manual) with SuperLube thick grease and replace the joker valve (manual OR electric) and make sure the mud daubers haven't set up housekeeping in any of the tank vent thru-hulls. They're especially fond of holding tank vents, but a good idea to check 'em all.
--Peggie

Jan 5, 2017
Don't think we have "mud daubers" out here Peggie. We do a "walk around " like a" pre-flight " every day when we're out. At least we try to be safe.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
They're a real scourge every spring in most parts of the US. They completely packed the gas pipe in the grill on my boat with their mud "nest" in less than a week after I'd already cleaned winter off the boat and used it once.
--Peggie

Jan 5, 2017
We have horse flies ,Deer flies, mosquitoes but nothing like that! I guess we hav'ta take the good with the bad!

Oct 22, 2014
Oh Peggie, I would not forget the joker valve or the super lube of the pump. That was a part of my fall prep. The guidance in the book was excellent.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
mud "nest" in less than a week
We have the same. Amazing places they find to leave their "mud". Last year I forgot about the in-mast furling slot. I now flush the bugger out with a good pressure wash.;)
_____
More done already than John's list...
1) Genset and Engine oil and filter change.
2) Pressure tested the Engine cooling and tested the anti-freeze.
3) Checked the water level in house and start batteries.
4) Pressure washed entire boat. Scrubbed bottom. Paint good for this season.
5) Low pressure washed all running lines. Trust me, it was just cleaning and not fraying.
6) Checked all port lights for seal.
7) New compressor for Refrigerator/Freezers. We forgot to set freezer thermostat on new first day and froze 12 bottles of Heineken beer.:yikes:
8) Cleaned all return air filters on AC units.
9) Going tomorrow to wipe down interior with Wet & Forget anti-mildew cleaner.
10) Sanitize the bilge.
____
We are ready!!!!

I will begin posting the Weather forum for winds and sailing weather. Sunny and mid 70's.:clap:
Jim...

PS: Landlubber spring stuff done too. Veggie Garden in and tomatoes growing.:pimp:
PSS: I got a jury duty summons for tomorrow, and they better not put me on the Grand Jury.:angry::angry:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... and make sure the mud daubers haven't set up housekeeping ....
I HATE mud daubers. They have cost me many hundreds of dollar and almost ruined one of my cruises when one set up shop inside of some brand new fuel line I had recently purchased. .... or the time they set up in the pee hole of my outboard.

MOTHBALLS are now a routine part of my set up when I'm not at the boat. I leave several bowls full in the boat.

Oct 22, 2014
When your focused on building your home and the home is a traveling vehicle, you need to be quick... and sting anyone who gets in your way...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
had daubers build a nest in a cabin fan while I was anchored out. Took them less than 6 hours !!
I had one build a nest in my fan also. Strange little bastards.

I'm back to my mothball suggestions. Not only do they keep out wasps, spiders and daubers but the vapor also kills mold spores. I put them in a zip lock when I return to the boat and open up the cabin to air it out. Easy peasy.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Don't think we have "mud daubers" out here Peggie. We do a "walk around " like a" pre-flight " every day when we're out. At least we try to be safe.
Yep, mid dobbers are all over the northwest. They are a problem for boats and pitot tubes. That's why Boeing keeps the pitot tubes covered.
Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We put the jib back on, now I need to service the water, Lube the toilet, put the cabin back in order, and scrub the outside.

Ken