Spring Painting Project

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Hello all, I have a few questions.

I plan on painting the deck of my boat this spring. She's a 1977 C-30....and all that that implies!

I began stripping all the hardware this past winter and will finish up this March and April.

I attached a pic below for reference.

I need to replace the teak handrails, they've been sanded too many times and the one on the port side actual broke fore near the head. Has anyone replaced the OEM 10 -loop hand rails with the 6-loop? They're half the price and would seem to do the job...I get, my boat, my choice....just wondering if anyone had done that.

The second question is the genoa track on the top deck. It's just to the left of the hand rail and is about 2' in length.

What is the purpose of this track? I run my jib cars on the outside tracks.
I have 135% r/f Genoa for a C-30 standard rig.

Are these inside tracks better suited for my jib?

Thanks for any input in advance!

Chris

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I can't speak to the handrail question, I can't think why it might be a problem, but the inside track is likely for a 110% or smaller jib so you can pinch closer to the wind. You might, conceivably, install a barberhauler on the track, but I'd be cautious of the direction of pull on the track. They are designed to take tension inline, not crosswise.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Thanks Will, appreciate you looking in.
I will most likely not reinstall that rail...not sure.
I race once a year, but's a long haul 40 mile race and I doubt my lack of 'pinching' power is going to matter.

-Chris

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I painted my 1983 Hunter 31. If you want to chat about what I learned feel free to PM me.