Spring is around the corner: What upgrades have you planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2012
Hunter 326 Seattle
I know the "winter doldrums" won't last forever - and I've been sitting here, thinking of the best upgrades to do to my boat for the upcoming season. I'm curious if you guys have similar thoughts on your mind?

I'm planning for a haul-out in the coming weeks, and some upgrades to add some comfort to my Puget Sound cruising:

Important -
-new bottom paint
-new zincs and anti-freeze

Useful -
-fix that pesky, malfunctioning hull speed transducer, maybe upgrading to an 'all-in-one' speed, depth and temp unit. That way I'll have a spare thru-hull to put one of those cool LED lights for my scuba diving
-dingy davits (Martek 370), so I don't have to drag my RIB around everywhere and can carry my scuba gear more easily
-3,500 watt inverter (Xantrex), so I can use that handy microwave while off the dock.
-LED deck lights from the spreaders
-wiring for detachable, folding solar panel

Fun -
-put in some music speakers in the cockpit

Wishes for -
-folding prop
-refrigeration

What do you have planned?

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Re: Spring is around the corner: What upgrades have you plan

Last year I did the following:

Electrical Panel Upgrade
Cell Phone Charging Shelf
Inverter Installation
LED V-Berth Light
Stereo Installation
Fortress Anchor
Aft Cabin Storage Lockers
Cabin Fans
VHF Deck Fitting
Ships Bell
Bimini Hinges

This year I am doing:
-Custom fuel tank
-New depth / speed transducers
-Rebedding various deck hardware
-New high thrust prop
-Sand / polish / wax deck (boat hadn't been waxed in years prior to purchase, did the topsides a couple years ago)

Also considering the following:
-Replacing porta-potty with flushing head and holding tank
-Tiller pilot

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME

I didn't put the boat in the water last summer so I could work on the house. Over the summer I had the bottom soda blasted and applied epoxy barrier coat(s); new dodger; removed exterior varnish with 9 new coats; drilled and oversized stanchions holes, potted with epoxy, re-drilled holes and bedded with butal tape. House looks the same!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon

Why wait for spring? I spent last weekend rerouting and rewiring the runs between my solar panel, battery and main panel. The dusting of snow was a bit disconcerting on Monday morning but it was actually warmer in the boat than I expected. The big halogen light probably helped with that though.

The work included ripping out the 16ga wire the PO installed between the factory battery box and the relocated battery in the v-berth and replacing it with 10 gauge wire for the solar panel on the stern rail. It runs to a new charge controller in v-berth. The original 10ga run from the battery box to the main panel was rerouted, and extended to the v-berth. I put in a switch for the battery/solar panel and added fuses since there weren't any.

I'm planning to replace the worn out spinlock PXR cleats with clutches in the spring. The main halyard needs to go too, the outer core wore through where it was chafed by the clutch.

I'll probably make an a-frame type gin pole setup to replace the 2x4 gin pole I've been using.

I need to have a friend of mine weld a new frame to raise the trailer winch because the winch sits too low and pulls the bow down, instead of forward onto the trailer. Not good on a steep ramp!

And I need to remove and rebed some hardware that's showing signs of slow leaks - a couple of stanchions, the main winches, and one of the port chainplate bolts.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My big project this Spring is to get the iron keel sandblasted down to bare iron. OEM keel coating is defective, and the boat manufacturer won't fix it. The keel looks like it has a case of acne. Then about five coats of Interprotect, and the usual spring bottom paint.

Then the steaming light needs to be un riveted from the mast so that I can get to the back of it to change the bulb (another brilliant design spec?). Logic would dictate that I should change the entire fixture.
All of the halyards need to be reversed.
Might add a removable bowsprit for the gennaker.
Teak surfaces have always been unfinished and scrubbed, debating whether to do multiple coats of varnish instead.
Move the engine instrument panel from the side of the starboard lazarette, to somewhere visible and increase the wire gauge in the starting circuit.
Figure out how to lubricate that squeaky steering wheel.
Do the routine winch maintenance
Determine a way to make jib cars adjustable from the cockpit.

Oh, by the way, the admiral wants a Bimini...

Boat is in the barn, mast is down, might have all year to get these projects done because Lake Michigan water levels are at record lows, and I may not be able to get back intothe water let alone my home dock.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)

we have no spring or fall--we have sailing and repairing seasons...winter is th e sailing season---and summer is the hiding from named and deadly storm season-- want to make the rest of my boat able to be sailed sola, as i havent crew for zihuatenejo to huatulco leg.....and then to costa rica then panama--mebbe to panama by 2014 late winter...hoping...

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton

Mr Steve,

If you want to travel to Port Orchard, Yachtfish Marine is advertising free haul out until January 31. Paul is the manager at 360-876-9016.

I had new bottom paint, zincs and installed a three blade flexofold.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrK6x42xgI

My remote mic is not working and I traced that to the cabin radio so that has to be removed and sent to a radio guy. I think ICOM has a repair unit in Seattle.

I had damage to my jib last year and in the repairs it was recut, had the rig tuned, have a new assymetrical sail, and the new folding prop...soooo what I really want to do is use the boat. New bottom paint, the boat will sail as well as it was ever designed to.

My daughter's C-25 just recently had the bottom done, swing keel upgrade, waxed and buffed hull, replaced the deck waste pump out fitting, tightened the outboard bracket motor mounts, and resealed the mast wiring deck penetration. Soooo want to use that boat too.

See you around the sound.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY

Hey,

I have to finish the hurricane Sandy repairs (rub rail and some other cosmetics). Then I want to change the standing rigging and install a new furler too. Then the normal wash and shine stuff.

Barry

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC

She's getting a new head sail :) That's all 'till I re-fill the piggy bank....... truth is there's not much left to do. www.chesapeaketidings.com see The Boat

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine

Reupholster the interior using Ultrasuede.
Install Oceanair hatch screens on our Lewmar 10s
Buff and polish cabin top and cockpit
Varnish brightwork
Replace all standing rigging using mechanical fittings(may wait ti next winter)

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
This year, it's a re-design. Always being at the fore-front in styling, I'm going to install deep pile orange shag wall-to-wall carpeting, love beads in the companionways, and a small mirrored disco ball in the salon. Just like a van I used to have in 1972.

I've already cut all of my shorts down so much that you can see the pockets hanging out the bottom.

That style is coming back you know.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Was thinking of dyeing my hair, and I really need to work on my flexibility. I'd go for a new big toe joint, but I'm waiting for that procedure to be refined. Might do some upgrades on my boat too.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour

I don't think I'm gonna haulout this spring - I hauled her when I bought her in Sept and the bottom paint still looked great.

Upgrades? There's a few...

I've rerouted the head to the huge holding tank, but I think I'm gonna replace the head - it's cracked, repaired several times, leaking and looking pretty old.
I'm replacing the galley and main cabin lights with LED - I've already done the one in the head.
Replaced the batteries and bought a battery-charger - the charger needs to be mounted properly and I need to add a few 12V accessory sockets.
I've bought a pressure pump for the freshwater system - I need to buy some faucets and install, including a way to switch between the two tanks.
The solar panel is sitting behind the house, waiting to be installed on the back rail.
After last weekend (COLD!!!!) I'm replacing the "solid-fuel" heater with an Espar forced-air unit.
I'm thinking about pulling the head off the engine and doing a top-end rebuild - she's smoking a bit and I'm sure cleaning out the water and exhaust ports wouldn't hurt.
Looking at installing an auto-helm. Was looking at installing a GPS/Chartplotter, but I've found OziExplorer runs on my tablet so I might just use that.

That's all I can think of for the moment...
Oh, and I'm thinking of building a hard-shell dinghy to replace the inflatable...

druid

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
Real upgrades, not just crap I need to fix?

Lets see. . .probably freshwater cooling for the Atomic4. BlueSeas DC breaker panel to replace the garbage Seadog fused panel I have. Nice boom tent/awning/shades for this summers killer sun for sitting at the dock. . .central air conditioning if I'm feeling rich ;)

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine

New bimini for the 100+ degree days. Really looking forward to the Bob-n-Burn days of Summer.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Finally get around to installing my diesel forced hot air central heating system that has been on my work bench for over a year.:doh:

Get my new 400Ah LiFePO4 lithium battery bank, and associated components, installed and wired.

+ all the normal spring commissioning..

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
Full LED conversion,
Re-bed the stanchions,
New flooring/grate for cockpit.
Clean, buff & wax.

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Finally get around to installing my diesel forced hot air central heating system that has been on my work bench for over a year.:doh:

Get my new 400Ah LiFePO4 lithium battery bank, and associated components, installed and wired.

+ all the normal spring commissioning..
Can't wait to see the documentation on the heater and battery installations!

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
upgrades

I dunno about the rest of you but on mass bay spring is not around the corner its a good way off. last year I had my boat completely overhauled So there isnt much to do except paint the bottom. Since I had successful back surgery last year Im up for some upgrades but unfortunately there isnt much to do

Status
Not open for further replies.