Spring Cruise 2023

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Belle-Vie's skipper has a week of vacation coming up April 9th. A cruise plan is in the making for some water time around the San Juan Islands, weather permitting. Plan includes a juicy cheese burger deluxe at Haleys in Friday Harbor and while there visiting with Tom Burgess my live-aboard cruising buddy from 2018. While out I also need to find some new anchorages to visit. First stop will likely be Eagle Harbor, then head west from there. May also consider heading north to Matia, then through President Channel to Friday Harbor as an alternate route. Lots of possibilities, or just stay several days in the same anchorage reading, watching movies, listening to music and just messing about the boat. But then I have an empty sail tank that needs serious filling.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is good news, from my friend Rufus...
Next week will start with more of the cold temps, showers - some with hail - and snow below the passes. Charts indicate a weak damp system swinging past on Good Friday Apr 7, then the GOOD will happen. Several forecasts ago, models suggested a wonderful, Spring Easter weekend, which was subsequently pushed off the charts. Well, as we have seen countless times before, the weather will ‘revert’ back to early charting, and wham, a great Easter weekend is now probable. WARM afternoons, esp on Easter Sunday. Likely temps will run into the 60s, upper 50s in the far north corner of the PNW.
We know that for every day of Sunshine a Little Rain will fall. And the Almanac reminds us... April Showers bring May Flowers.

So Rufus adds this bit...
The Bad Again. Moisture returns over Vancouver Island and NW WA later on Monday, then expanding over OR sometime Tue & Wed Apr 11,12. It will be a warm rain to start, then turn cold again on Thu the 13th. The cold trough will be rather large and slow to move out (similar to last week), so we can expect chilly showers (maybe with hail again), mountain snow, and ‘put on a jacket’ temps through the weekend of Apr 15,16. Please note: often when a High pressure ridge sets up over the west coast (think warm, dry in this case), it is slow to break down or move out. That could happen after our wonderful Easter Sunday, yielding another day or two of truly Spring comfort. We’ll wait and see.

If I could just get the motor vrooming. I'd be out there in a heart beat to join you.

Regarding wind... The 10th is on the fringe of my long range forecast. So low confidence. I would expect a little wind may favor your departure and cruise up the Canal out to Eagle Harbor. A little fog is in the forecast as some mornings will be calm and cool. Your heater will likely be nice too have on at breakfast time.

I'll keep an eye out and as the crystal ball begins to clear I'll share an update.

I'll be in Everett on Tuesday and Wednesday. These days promise to be a sunshine tease for the PacificNW. Enough warmth to let my fresh paint dry. on the bottom of the keel as she is prepped to splash.

Going to put SV Hadley back in the water til the mechanic can find the magic smoke that gives her Varooom.

Mar 31, 2023
C&C 33 Mk 1 Portland
Nice, looking forward to doing that trip from Portland in the summer sometime...enjoy!

Dec 25, 2000
April Showers bring May Flowers.
I'm okay with showers. A bit of wind, too. Easter Sunday coming up next week. The Easter Bunny has being coaxed out of his burrow to show up and spend some time with the kids, a few Kodak moments and sprinkle some eggs around here and there after mass.

Waiting for the rush.
Easter Bunny 20187.jpg

He's a little upset to have his picture taken.
Easter Bunny 201813.jpg

The lovely Admiral was very happy to have her picture taken with the Easter Bunny.
Easter Bunny 20183.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
I'm not counting, or anything like that, but only six more days to go. Trying not to hyperventilate. Must stay calm. Only six more days to go. Only five more days to go after tomorrow.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm sure the photo opts will be even better than the Easter Bunny. No one will be crying, over having their picture taken, unless they get sea sick. Then, have the grace to not take their picture :redface:.

-Will

Dec 25, 2000
Had a very nice spring cruise with not much sail time...boo. Spent a day in Eagle Harbor; only boat there. Then over to Friday Harbor to visit with Tom Burgess my 2018 cruise skipper. But alas he had left for Reid Harbor with family and would not be back until Sunday. So, rather than spend $63 for overnight moorage, I decided to cross San Juan Channel and spend a few days in Parks Bay. Weather held very nicely, but cold. Only boat there so nice and quiet in the tucked in little cove. Noticed the oysters have made a big comeback. Shucked ten and poached them with a pat of butter and a little milk were very tasty. Also, lots of new plus many harvestable critters in all the small beaches around the Bay. Bufflehead Ducks, River Otters, Ospreys, Eagles, Harbor Seals all in play.