Spring Cleats for 315 Genoa Track

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
What brand and type of adjustable spring cleats are are people using on C315 Genoa tracks?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mike, you simply need to buy what fits on whatever track you have. Garhauer is great, cost effective gear.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What brand and type of adjustable spring cleats are are people using on C315 Genoa tracks?
More commonly called "midship cleats" .... I got mine from Garhaurer. Well worth the $50 I paid a few years back. Standard T Track, 1 or 1.25 inch. . You need to know if you have standard T track... if it's another kind it may be proprietary, such as Harken's. But, Shaeffer, Lewmar, Ronstan, Garhaurer etc all use the standard T track.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Garhauer makes functional and affordable cleats, Schaeffer makes attractive, elegant, and expensive cleats. As others have said, these work on T-tracks, the track size is the critical dimension.

1698413080466.png

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I use the ones Dave shows in his post from Catalina Direct but I sure didn't pay the $154 they are charging now. Garhauer has the one posted by Joe for $52. My C30 has 1" track. CD shows the same size fits the C315.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Many years ago, when I began promoting midship springline cleats on tracks for those of us who didn't have them installed as OEM on the side decks, one skipper wrote in to say thanks for the idea.
Then he went on to describe how he was able to move it from one side of his boat to the other depending on where he docked when cruising. :yikes::wow3::banghead:

I suggest you buy two , one for each side. ;)

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I have also been struggling with this issue, on my C-315, as well. Good mid-ships cleats would certainly be a welcome addition. Note that the Genoa tracks are somewhat inboard of the toe-rail. So, I am not sure that mounting a cleat on it would be ideal. As the picture shows I have mounted a C.S. Johnson Folding Toe Rail Cleat. Unfortunately, I do not find this to be a satisfactory solution either. The Johnson cleat is only held on by one screw which tends to loosen. Also, the cleat tends to rotate under a fore-aft load. Basically, it feels flimsy.

20231027_114621.jpg

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Many years ago, when I began promoting midship springline cleats on tracks for those of us who didn't have them installed as OEM on the side decks, one skipper wrote in to say thanks for the idea.
Then he went on to describe how he was able to move it from one side of his boat to the other depending on where he docked when cruising. :yikes::wow3::banghead:

I suggest you buy two , one for each side. ;)
We have the Shaeffer cleat pictured above and it is very high quality. I like that you can put the dockline loop through the middle of the cleat which you cannot do with the other version. After a few years of moving one cleat from side to side we finally bought a second for our 310.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree with your conclusion @stephen_i_w . That cleat is not a good addition to your boat. I would remove it before it’s use causes real damage to your boat rail or hull/deck joint.

I chose a mid cleat like this.
1698500139978.jpeg

installed with a strong backing plate. The two screws go through the deck and are positioned where they counter the forces being applied to the cleat. When not in use it folds down, out of the way.

I use them to stop my 15,000 lb boat as I come to dock.

• Helpful