Spring cleaning and waxing time I just thought it would be an interesting.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Everybody in my marina and everyone I speak to always say that the product that they use is the best. It seems that everyone is an expert on boat detailing.

I'm curious to hear what products my fellow boaters have found that works the best for them and the worst products that they have used.

Now this is just opinions so let's keep this on the up on up for discussion.

So again what's the best polishing, cleaning, waxing products that you have used and the worst ❓❓❓❓in your opinion.

My hull is now awlgrip, so I only have to apply awlcare polymer sealer protection which I am so far very satisfied with.
However my topside are gelcote and require waxing/polishing which I have cared for for the past 35 years. I have used just about every product out there and have not truly found anything that absolutely blew me away. I have found some that appear to work better than others however I've never found that one product that stands out there, that I can truly say this is the best stuf sence sliced bread.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I agree. No perfect and/or easy product. However, for most marks I find a magic eraser white sponge a pretty good item. Then the usual polish and wax.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I do think the Carnuba Wax Rx'ed by Mainesail does very well and isn't that hard to apply. Excellent product. Now Avert your eyes, Mainesail, and I'll say that I've used Maguires Fiberglass Restorer and few of their lighter compounds, maybe some with silicone (Before I was a SBO member) and had good results. Good results mean a nice shine, perceived UV protection, beading water for most of the season. It doesn't mean a professional gleaming finish that will Wow anyone - it is the proverbial 15' test.
BTW, I think the hull that is Awl Griped on your boat is what we call "Topsides." So for the sake of clarity what are you looking to apply cleaner/wax to?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Recently used 3M super duty compound, 3M finesse-it, Meguiar’s #9 swirl remover & finally 2 applications of Collinite paste wax (all recommended by Mainsail) + Advil prn pain! Always get a nice result. Next time I plan to use Presta products as advised by Mainsail. Reason for wanting to switch products is because it should require fewer steps.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
To clarify what I ment as my top sides application is my deck is what I am referring to as my topside.

Again just curious what you guys are using?
The best vs worst products you have used?
Hopefully we all can find something useful from this thread.
I'm sure that we have all used something that has worked out well.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Capt.,
I use the same technique & same compound, polish& wax on the cabin sides. With regards to the deck, I just clean it occasionally with a power washer being careful not to get the tip too close to the deck & definitely away from fittings that are bedded in sealer, and between power washings, use a deck brush and starbrite nonskid deck cleaner. Do not wax the deck; too slippery when wet. Woody’s wax works well after thoroughly cleaning. It is not really a wax, more of a spray on sealer. Be careful, it’s slippery as hell when you apply with a spray bottle & deck brush; however it is not slippery after drying......even when deck is wet. Lasts about 6 weeks.

Last edited:

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I've used the Presta products with good results...now I generally only need their polish and can skip the compound. But for wax I found Collinite way too hard on me getting it off and the shine on, so I use NuFinish for the wax step. I'm happy with it and my shoulder thanks me.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Recently used 3M super duty compound, 3M finesse-it, Meguiar’s #9 swirl remover & finally 2 applications of Collinite paste wax (all recommended by Mainsail) + Advil prn pain! Always get a nice result. Next time I plan to use Presta products as advised by Mainsail. Reason for wanting to switch products is because it should require fewer steps.
Try adding after it replacing the swirl remover with Meguir's Glaze. Since using it I've stopped using Swirl Remover all together unless I'm working on a very dark tint paint/clearcoat. My wakeboard boat is black/grey gel coat and I found much better performance with the Glaze.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have always used Collinite poducts, either the cleaner/wax or the paste. Both apply easily and initially wipe off with a terrycloth towel or something similar, and buff with a lambs wool power buffer. I have had very little oxidation and the topsides still look like new after 14 years.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I've used the Presta products with good results...now I generally only need their polish and can skip the compound. But for wax I found Collinite way to hard on me getting it off and the shine on, so I use NuFinish for the wax step. I'm happy with it and my shoulder thanks me.
Within the auto and boat detailer world around there in UV radiation heaven, these mentioned above are the consensus choices as best.

When we lived up north where the season is truncated and the sun is relatively mild, the choices are less critical to preserving the paint or gelcoat. If up there, almost anything will work for a few months a year.