Spreadsheets? Do any of you use them to track your expenses?

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I was wondering if any of you use spread sheets to track your expenses and and the things you have done on your boat. I wanting to build a spread sheet so I want to get some ideas. I just took and Excel class and I thinking it would be a great way to learn the basics of excel and also keep a log as to what was done and when and how much. Does anyone else do this?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm guilty. It's more for tracking routine maintenance periods but I do record projects, month/year, and what parts and supplies were needed. Although it might help resale someday. One worksheet is a log, the other is info about purchased parts and tools
I have a drop-down to categorize work. It's divided into
  1. Engine/drivetrain
  2. Hull Exterior
  3. Sails and Rigging
  4. Electrical Systems
  5. Plumbing
  6. Deck Hardware
  7. Safety Equipment
I think I got the idea from some other crazed individual on here. :eek:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just took and Excel class
You got to learn that sort of behavior is dangerous. This is a boat.
You are encouraged to love her. Get her what ever she wants or you think she needs. Treat her nice and she will give the same back to you.... Oh wait.... That is what my mother in law told me when I was about to get married... Never mind.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I track maintenance in a spreadsheet, but don't track $$$. That would be depressing.

I also have a logbook spreadsheet.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
We just keep Logbook of work done.

When we started on our current boat I did try to keep a record, noting costs but after the money spent exceeded what I paid for the boat itself I decided it was not a good idea anymore. I have learned to prepare the ground for future expenses. Discussing how air conditioning is $2k and a new bottom to fix the blisters will be even more than that... So on and so forth. That way when I drop the funds I can say, "Sure darling, I told you it would be that much.."

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Just as Justin suggests, I am tracking all of my upgrades and research on upgrades on a spreadsheet, organized by categories. I don't do it to keep track of costs. I do this because there is a dizzying variety of products and performance specifications that I need to sort out before making purchases. I started by organizing all of the running rigging that I would use on my boat. Now, I've started tracking all of the equipment that I research. It's almost impossible to keep track of everything by memory alone that I'm interested in purchasing at some point in the future. We get countless suggestions for products just in this forum. I need the spreadsheet to go back and remember what was discussed. It also helps to make economical decisions for purchases. When I'm ready to buy a chartplotter, for instance, I now have a spreadsheet that includes the specifications for about 5 or 6 options that I'm interested in, so I don't have to search thru multiple websites again as I did while doing the research originally. It helps that I can update the spreadsheet for a new product that I've heard about and compare it easily with another that I researched a few months earlier.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1. Inventory spreadsheet: remarks column has model # and part # for future reference. Alphabetical. I hate categories. Is alternator engine or electrical? :) Includes cost. Many times folks ask what I paid for something. Item, date, cost, source, remarks. Pretty simple. I can sort it by year for tax purposes. I don't include fuel, berthing or insurance. Fuel's separate, and the others are fixed costs. This is a parts manual.

2. Fuel log: spreadsheet calculates amount needed on next fill. Date, engine hours, next refill. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3841.0.html

3. Maintenance log: clean spreadsheet with gridlines, date, time, engine hours, big remarks column. I keep a bunch of these blanks in my boat book and fill them in by hand as I go. When I finish, I scan them in, keep the originals at home, copies on the boat. I always have something to go back to for handy tips & tricks, like transmission fluid changes. I have reasonably good handwriting. :) I never bother typing the stuff in. I don't lug the computer to the boat every time I go, either.

4. Energy budget. Easy to do, three columns: daysail, anchor out, night sail. All are remarkably different. Only have to do it once, though. The All-Important Energy Budget: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html

I don't agree with those who keep saying don't look at costs. Sure, it's a hobby, but I am very glad I did so. How else could I show the Admiral how much less it costs every year? :)

I keep a separate handwritten daily log when cruising. Also notes when adding water, checking batteries, miscellaneous stuff. Fun to go back and read the cruising notes. I'm on my seventh logbook.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I just started. Keeping track of major expenses, spares, maintenance, trips, to do list and wants all have tabs

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
She understands cost/benefit ratios. If the original number ever came to be evaluated it might not hold up against a sliding scale.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
My wife and I have been tracking all of our expenses since 1992. We know to the penny how much and in what category we have spent our money. We lived and traveled in our 35 and then 52 footer since then until 2010. There were separate entries for the boat. Except for food and drink, we were averaging 22K/year.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Some people are obsessed with tracking everything. These people are called "power boaters." You are a sail boater. Take a breath. Relax. Go for a sail and enjoy yourself. Wonder at the magic of sailing. Ignore the cost charts. If you total your costs and divide by the number of times you sailed each season, it will make your crazy.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Cayennita said:
...We know to the penny how much and in what category we have spent our money. ...
So how much were the rum-flavored toothpicks :dancing:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It hasn't been the boat hardware that's added up this year, it's been the 4k video apparatus used to document the boat hardware. That's added up waaaaay faster than the boat hardware.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have that same comic on my bulletin board at work. My boss saw it and asked if boat ownership was really like that. I told him "Yes. Why do you think you have to pay me so much"!
:rolleyes:
LOL. Someone at work gave me the comic. I think that may be the general perception of boat ownership.