Spreaders

Jul 31, 2023
Macgregor 22 Selah
I have never owned my own boat. I purchased a 69 macgregor 22. It is very solid with good rigging. I noticed that the mast doesn't have spreaders. I can't see that there were ever any bracket on the mast to mount them. I have watched several videos of people replacing them. I am not sure what to purchase or how long they should be. Any help would be appreciated.
PXL_20230730_190938186.jpg
j

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
Had a quick look at your model/year on Sailboatdata.com. The drawings listed include a spreader and lower shroud.
It is possible your mast was replaced later and spreader / lowers were not installed.
If you find it doesn’t sail as expected you could replace the shroud lines and add spreaders.
Blue water yachts is a supplier of components for Macgregor and venture. I have used them in the past for model specific parts.
Best luck!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It is possible your mast was replaced later and spreader / lowers were not installed.
:plus:

Judging by the size of the main on the boom at least some things have been replaced with “close enough” replacements.

My concern with the current mast is whether it was originally designed for a boat with a wider beam or not needing spreaders for some reason other than the mast itself.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Per Ecletic's suggestion, I would inquire with Blue Water Yachts. I have never seen a mast with shrouds that did not have spreaders. It's likely this rig would be OK in moderate winds, but as pesky as spreaders are, there has got to be a very good reason they are there.

Pretty boat, by the way.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Per Ecletic's suggestion, I would inquire with Blue Water Yachts. I have never seen a mast with shrouds that did not have spreaders. It's likely this rig would be OK in moderate winds, but as pesky as spreaders are, there has got to be a very good reason they are there.

Pretty boat, by the way.
Flying Scot masts do not have spreaders.

If a boat is wide enough to get the appropriate angle for the cap shroud, then spreaders not necessary. Spreaders increase the angle between the mast and the cap shroud and then direct the forces down to the hull. There is a good discussion full of math in Brion Toss's book, The Complete Rigger's Apprentice.

Aug 2, 2014
MacGregor 26C Stuart FL
“If a boat is wide enough to get the appropriate angle for the cap shroud, then spreaders not necessary. “
Structural necessity is not the only consideration for the application of spreaders.

Mast shape and deformation can affect performance depending on conditions.
Spreaders even without a lower can help maintain better mast uniformity.
The real question is ROI ( return on investment). Does this owner need to spend $? for what return. Depends??
Different boat but from a Practical Sailor review of a Venture 21–
“Early boats, like the 1969 model that we test sailed, did not have spreaders on the upper shrouds. In windy areas, where mast pumping is a noticeable problem, retrofitting spreaders—or looking for a more suitable boat—would be a good idea. “
Best Regards