Spreader Woods Used

Apr 22, 2014
Hello, I'm Nathan. I recently purchased an Alden Zephyr which had been under going a refit by the prior owner for the last few years. She is in very good condition overall and a beauty, but as like all good boats needs much going forward. We unstepped the mast last week to replace standing rigging and refinish the spreaders. The spreaders had started to suffer from some rot. I'm considering wooden replacements or other materials (aluminum, etc). I'm open to thoughts on both and specific materials, (including types of wood and graining desired, etc.). Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Nathan, Alden 959A

Apr 22, 2014
Well I ended up doing research elsewhere and found some answers from the local Hinckley dealer and other folks with in-depth lumber knowledge. The Sitka Spruce, original equipment, was not to be found in my area, as best I could tell. We ended up using clear fir with the tightest grain we could find and had a good local cabinet maker fashion new spreaders using the old ones for patterns. My guess is the old ones where later and not original, but with little rot, only at the connection to the mast area. We are fortunate to be the caretaker, as I like to say, of Zephyr 959A. Nathan

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Hi Nathan,

Good you came back again, despite the silence! I'd be most grateful if you could check 959A's entry at my listing post and advise any alterations necessary. There is no obligation to note location, but it would be nice to know, at least, if it is no longer as listed, and if she has had any name change(s).

Fair winds, Iain

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Nathan! Would love to see photos of your Zephyr and the new spreaders.