spreader upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jr

I searched the archives on this topic, but couldn't get anything real specific on it. I bought the spreader upgrade kit from CatalinaDirect. However I am un sure of how to get that compression piece up into the mast..this seems very difficult! Has anyone done this or tried to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A

Allen

It's not that tough....

Hey JR, Here's how I did it: With the mast on the ground (obviously!) I took a piece of twine, attached a fish hook to it & fed it through the hole that the compression bolt will go through. I then tied a large sponge to the wires at the base of the mast used for the VHF antenna & also attached another long piece of twine to it, as well. Pulling on the VHF antenna wire, I pulled the sponge through the mast & made sure that I had that twine at the mast base to pull it back when I was done. The fish hook caught the sponge on the way up & pulled that piece of twine up & to the mast head. At this point I had 2 pieces of twine at the head: 1 that lead to where the compression post should go & 1 that lead to the base of the mast. I tied the compression post to the compression post twine & pulled it into position. Once in place, you can use the bolt to secure it & the spreaders. Once that's done, remove the sponge from the 2nd piece of twine (it won't fit now that the conpression post is in place) and use it to pull the VHF wire back to the base of the mast. I hope this helps!! Allen Schweitzer s/v Falstaff C-30 Hull# 632

J

jr

ok installed...but dissapointed

OK, I have installed the upgraded spreader kit, however I was VERY dissapointed for the amount of $$ I spent. First off I was lucky enough that the holes lined up from the old wooden spreader supports to the upgraded ones. I was also lucky enough that there was a compression tube already in place on the mast. However the parts from CatalinaDirect, were of horrible workmanship. First off 2 of the holes were not drilled properly on the spreader mounts so I had to redrill those. Secondly, the bolting hardware is such a downgrade in quality as to what is on there. The bolts are 1/2 the size of the ones that I replaced. Not only that, but I snapped one of the bolts trying to loose in to adjust the mount, total crap in my opinion. Anyone else have experience with their products? As of now I am very dissapointed.

A

Allen

My Experience

JR, I, too, snapped the large bolt that was supplied by Catalina Direct, but overall I was VERY pleased with the quality, given the price. I paid around $300, and I didn't have to drill...the bolt holes lined up perfectly & 4 years later I'm still happy. Sorry you don't feel the same. Hey, at least you know they're going to last & give you good service now that they're in! Allen Schweitzer s/v Falstaff C-30 Hull# 632

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
I like CD

Sorry about your experience. I have purchased quite a few kits from CD and have been very happy with the quality - although I would like better printed directions.

T

Timm Rivette

Wow

I also did the spreader bracket upgrade from C.D.I had absolutley no quality issues.To get the compression tube up the mast ,this what I did.Took two pieces of cheap schedule 40 p.v.c. and screw them to gether.This made them 20 feet long and only cost me 3 or 4 dollars.On one end I routed a groove the same diameter as the o.d. of the compression tube.Then I used masking tape to hold it in place.Then I measure from the bolt hole to the base of the mast .I marked off the same distance on the pipe.I slid the pvc pipe up inside the mast ,when the mark lined up with the mast base all I had to do was rotate it so the holes lined up.Insert bolt and with a quick yank break the masking tape loose.Remove pipe and smile

Status
Not open for further replies.