Spray foam in bilge. Any idea why??

Jan 19, 2024
Catalina 22 Sea of Cortez
Hi all,
Total newb here, desperately looking for a trailerable boat with a cuddy cabin, in my price range.
There's not alot to choose from here in Baja just north of Cabo.

So when I saw this Catalina 22 for sale in my price range I was prepared to make an offer..until I saw this.

There's spray foam in the bilge! It seems to be held in by thin
wood or something, but it's def spray foam.
Why would anyone add spray foam in these areas?
There's so much I could see the bottom of the sink funnel had foam under it too.

Also there are hose clamps on the compression post.

The current seller says it came this way, he says he's had it over 10 years and he doesn't know anything about those.
Suggested it came made with foam for extra flotation. I don't think that sounds right.

Why would someone spray foam in this area? Any ideas?
Thank you

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Can only guess that a previous owner hoped that it would add to the flotation of the boat. Does it cause any problems other than being just plain weird ?

As far as the compression post goes :

1705876442668.png

Could it be easily replaced should the need arise ?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think @Ralph Johnstone nailed it.

I'd look carefully at the outside of the hull just to make sure that the foam was not a half-brained idea to slow a leak from a crack.

Also take a very hard look at the swing keel. All old boats need some love but the swing keel requires a lot of effort to maintain and some POs will have done the "out of sight out of mind" approach to keel maint.

A lot of us have restored keels so it may not be a deal breaker if it is in rough shape but the price should reflect the following...

1) Condition of the keel _Lot of work to fix
2) Condition of the sails _ Expensive to replace
3) Condition of the outboard motor _ Expensive to replace and/or repair
4) Condition of the trailer _Expensive for a new one but there are market tricks for finding a good used one
5) Condition of the standing rigging. _ Can do it yourself on a 22'

Everything else is relatively easy to fix and/or make to look nice. Don't get hung up on cosmetics.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Ditto on what rgranger said. Particularly with regard to the keel, which is a big slab of cast iron (600 lbs.?), so it's not easy to handle and make repairs. Some of the older ones are rusty/crusty and need to be removed from the boat (not easy) and be sandblasted, faired, and finished. You'll be able to find YouTube vids about this process. It can be sobering.

With regard to the keel, on an older Cat 22 you also have the concern of the the pin for the swing keel and the lifting mechanism.

I would add too that list the balsa core in the deck, which is a concern in just about any older fiberglass boat with a cored deck (which is pretty much all of them). Water can get into the core where fittings are attached to the deck and rot the core, causing soft spots in the deck. There are methods for determining the condition of the deck...you'll find 'em online. You don't want to have to replace core.

Those hose clamps on the compression post. They're not decorative. Who knows...they might hold it just fine, but if it was my boat, I'd be replacing that post.

Avail yourself of the information you need to do a pre survey or self survey. There are other things to look for on this boat that are common to all fiberglass boats. Sorry, I don't have a link offhand.

The Catalina 22 is a nice boat, but like any older boat, they can have demons. They can look like a good cleanup and some paint and polish will make them serviceable, but not if there are demons lurking. Always best to know if there are demons lurking before you buy.

That spray foam is odd. Why it's there is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't put my money on flotation. Seems more likely that it was a half assed attempt to address some problem. Leak comes to mind. Looking at that picture, I can't imagine any problem that it could have effectively remedied. Previous owner shortcuts like that are indicative of the previous owners' approach to maintenance, and are red flags saying "buyer beware".

You've identified yourself as a newb. Most of the sailors here on the forum would like to see you succeed with sailing. So, I'm not pointing out all the pitfalls to put you off sailing, but rather to help you get into sailing while avoiding pitfalls and heartbreak. It's a great sport and lifestyle. Best of luck to you.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I have 2 aluminum john boats that have tons of foam in compartments for floatation. Came from the factory that way.

Jan 19, 2024
Catalina 22 Sea of Cortez
Ditto on what rgranger said. Particularly with regard to the keel, which is a big slab of cast iron (600 lbs.?), so it's not easy to handle and make repairs. Some of the older ones are rusty/crusty and need to be removed from the boat (not easy) and be sandblasted, faired, and finished. You'll be able to find YouTube vids about this process. It can be sobering.

With regard to the keel, on an older Cat 22 you also have the concern of the the pin for the swing keel and the lifting mechanism.

I would add too that list the balsa core in the deck, which is a concern in just about any older fiberglass boat with a cored deck (which is pretty much all of them). Water can get into the core where fittings are attached to the deck and rot the core, causing soft spots in the deck. There are methods for determining the condition of the deck...you'll find 'em online. You don't want to have to replace core.

Those hose clamps on the compression post. They're not decorative. Who knows...they might hold it just fine, but if it was my boat, I'd be replacing that post.

Avail yourself of the information you need to do a pre survey or self survey. There are other things to look for on this boat that are common to all fiberglass boats. Sorry, I don't have a link offhand.

The Catalina 22 is a nice boat, but like any older boat, they can have demons. They can look like a good cleanup and some paint and polish will make them serviceable, but not if there are demons lurking. Always best to know if there are demons lurking before you buy.

That spray foam is odd. Why it's there is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't put my money on flotation. Seems more likely that it was a half assed attempt to address some problem. Leak comes to mind. Looking at that picture, I can't imagine any problem that it could have effectively remedied. Previous owner shortcuts like that are indicative of the previous owners' approach to maintenance, and are red flags saying "buyer beware".

You've identified yourself as a newb. Most of the sailors here on the forum would like to see you succeed with sailing. So, I'm not pointing out all the pitfalls to put you off sailing, but rather to help you get into sailing while avoiding pitfalls and heartbreak. It's a

Thank you great sport and lifestyle. Best of luck to you.
Maybe original...

Catalina Direct Clubhouse Forums
That's what I've been trying to find out!!
I wish I could access those pictures, but the the forum question is 20 yrs old.

Still, it's exactly the information I needed!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Fidgit

Nov 16, 2019
Catalina 22 4042 Any water in driving distance!
Like others have mentioned. That looks like the factory foam option to me.
I've got the same stuff.
Planning to hack away the foam under the v-birth to move the battery forward.