Split backstay for an H31

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Blakely

I recently bought a l985 Hunter 31. On my previous boats which were smaller Catalinas, I had split backstays which, when properly used, improved sail trim results on various points of sail. In looking at several 31's and 34's with the B&R rig, I have not seen any with split backstays. Some mast tuning info I have on the B&R rig does not mention anything about split backstays. Does anyone have any info, opinions, or experience with a split backstay for the H31 or H34? Obviously there is a significant rake built into the rig. It seems though, tuning is either tight and firm or some play in the backstay which is not adjustable. I appreciate anyone's feedback on this issue

J

John

Are you sure

I have a 83 H31 with a split backstay. Every H31 and H34 of similar model that I have seen have had split backstays. They split about 12 ft off the deck. Could there have been differences from dealer to dealer when the boats were new?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Are you really sure.

I agree. I have never seen one without a split backstay. Even the older boat had them (but now they have none).

J

Jay Hill

Are you really really sure?

I have '85 H31 as well with split backstay. Never saw one without it. Did it break and the previouis owner never replace it? Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.