Splicing 8 plait to chain

Mar 21, 2020
Beneteau 351 Oriental
I previously asked about the chain for my Goiot manual windlass, and have discovered that it is not 5/16 HT but #8. So...that means I have to cut and splice my 8 plait (blait?) warp to new chain. I have about 10 feet of the #8 chain on the existing worn out warp. I have not done splicing before. Is there a great site for splicing 8 plait? And would you use a thimble or not. The existing make up (done by Mack Yacht Services for me but never used) is direct to the chain. Something else to learn in the days of Covid.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Both Samson and Premium ropes have very good « Youtube » instruction videos. Google « 8 plait rope splice ».
I would splice directly to chain (I have a vertical windlass and a thimble won’t fit through the hole to the chain locker!).
If you just anchor out in fine weather... for serious anchoring I would use a minimum of 50 feet of chain. I have 125 feet of #8 on my 31 footer.
Pierre

Mar 21, 2020
Beneteau 351 Oriental
I am still kicking myself, I let a Lewmar V-1 slip away because it was on a boat I gave away, made no difference to the person who received it, but now I wish I had it. Although the way the electric motor hung down below deck didn't make sense for the Beneteau 351, since the area where the windlass goes is regularly drenched fully with water.

ON prev boat, Island Packet 44, we had 250 feet of 5/16 HT on starboard, with a 25 kilo rocna, and 200 on port with a Fortress 37. Always wondered how the boat would sail with all that out of the bow, but never worried about anchoring. Used an HWC windlass.

Mar 21, 2020
Beneteau 351 Oriental
Pierre: I have assumed that the factory chain on the 351 is #8, but it is larger than the 5/16 HT that I have. Also, do you use a manual windlass? I actually (I cannot believe I am saying this) wonder if the 5/16 would work well enough, looks like every third link would slip just a little.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
It all depends on your knnes, back and budget! I had a Lofrans manual windlass on my last boat, C&C Landfall 38. When I purchased the 31 I had three sine qua non requisites... A) Cabin heater. B) No spinnaker pole. C) Electric windlass.
This being said, I used the 3/8 chain on the #10 capstan for years, untill hit by lightning and the chain & anchor were de-galvanized. I only had 50 feet of chain at the time and was in my fifties. The chain would slip a notch as you say but Once the anchor was free I would pull it up by hand.
I won’t go back to a mismatched manual windlass; I’m now 70... back & lnees won’t take it!