Spinning Prop While Under Sail

Mar 28, 2022
Beneteau Oceanis 38.1 Port Townsend
Hello Fellow Beneteau Owners
I have a new 2022 Oceanis 38.1 and found that the prop turns very noisily under sail. The only way to prevent this is to put the 40hp Yanmar diesel in reverse. I am trying to avoid buying a $3,400 feathering prop. Does anyone have an opinion on whether putting the boat in reverse under sail will potentially damage the transmission of the engine or is it possible that I would not be able to shift the gear into neutral to start the engine if sailing with it in reverse? Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
One of "those" things.. until several years ago, reverse while sailing was the norm.. A few years ago (February of '08), Yanmar put out a service bulletin that said to use neutral while sailing and let the prop spin. For about a thousand years before that paper, I used reverse and had it really hard to get out of reverse only twice. I can start the engine in gear and then it will shift normallly, but many new boats have a safety switch that will not allow you to start in gear. If it is really noisy, it may be that your alignment is off and should be corrected. I can hear mine spinning when sailing in neutral, but it is not noisy.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat!

The Beneteau site shows the 38.1 as having a 30 HP engine. Did the upgrade it or does yours have a 40 HP as an option? If it’s a 30 HP I presume it’s a Yanmar 3YM30 with a saildrive?

The 3YM30 Operation Manual does include the statement that “NOTICE: When sailing, set the remote control lever in NEUTRAL. Not doing so WILL introduce slippage or any damage and void your warranty.” Between their previous bulletin ( https://j109.org/docs/yanmar_techni...r_position_while_under_sail_-ymtqtb11-017.pdf ) and the line in the operation manual I would not be comfortable overriding their guidance and sailing in reverse, especially while still in the warranty period.

Since you have a saildrive a shaft brake is not an option.

Probably not what you’re hoping for but you could consider a folding prop for just over half the price of the feathering one.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I have a new 2022 Oceanis 38.1 and found that the prop turns very noisily under sail. The only way to prevent this is to put the 40hp Yanmar diesel in reverse. I am trying to avoid buying a $3,400 feathering prop. Does anyone have an opinion on whether putting the boat in reverse under sail will potentially damage the transmission of the engine or is it possible that I would not be able to shift the gear into neutral to start the engine if sailing with it in reverse? Thanks
Confirm your boat is equipped with a saildrive 1st. 2nd determine the make of the saildrive. If it is a Yanmar then your question is answered above. If it is a ZF then from the ZF SD-10 (not Yanmar SD-xx) manual:
“CAUTION. When the boat sails with engine switched off the shift position of the gearbox can be: 1) in neutral position and in this case the propeller is free to rotate. 2) in the opposite position of the travel direction to lock the propeller. Note: do not put the shifting lever of the gearbox in forward position, otherwise the transmission could be damaged!”

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have a new 2022 Oceanis 38.1 and found that the prop turns very noisily under sail.
A brand spanking new Bene 38 and you're putting your engine in the hands of a internet forum ? Maybe a first boat ? ? ?

Where is your dealer ? ? ? ? If he left town in a hurry last night, where's your Yanmar manual ?

If you can hear the x-mission rotating from above deck and it's loud enough to be of concern, there's a problem with your drive train. Don't worry about the noise you CAN hear under sail, worry about the noise you CAN'T hear when the engine is running.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well you could buy a $1500 feathering prop, Kiwiprop super simple and worked pretty well for my First 375 about the same amount of boat. Mainesail did some investigating and as I recall spinning is faster than locked.

Apr 7, 2022
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Channel Islands
We have a 45' Oceanis with a feathering prop. We always put the engine in reverse and then back to neutral before shutting down engine to avoid the prop from (noisily) spinning once we get to sailing.