Spinnakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Howard

I recently purchased a C27, 1974 with very unusual rigging. There is a "spinnaker halyard" mounted at the top of the mast INSIDE the roller furling jib/forestay, a "downhaul" from the base of the forestay leading back to the cockpit, and no topping lift or pole! There is a spinnaker which appears symmetrical so I don't think it's a gennaker but maybe it is? Any comments on all this? Also, where do C27 owners stow their spinnaker poles?

B

Bob Camarena

Check Your Clews

I have a cruising chute which is designed to attach to the forestay with a downhaul as you describe to control the height above the bow. If you have a traditional spinnaker, you will have two identical clews with eye rings. You would also have red tape along one vertical edge and a green tape on the other. If it's a cruising chute, you'll have one clew with an eye ring and a tack with a jib type hank or snap to clip on to the forestay. The downhaul you describe would attatch to this. Your spinnaker halyard should be inside the forestay as you describe and the block at the top should be free to swivel with the spinnaker. If it's a sheave fixed to the masthead, it's likely a spare jib halyard and not a spinnaker halyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.