Spinnaker working loads?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Our boats use an Isomat NG1 masthead which has an internal spin halyard using a small roller at the front which is not optimal but workable. The attached page from rigrite shows a blow-up of the masthead and also the optional spinaker crane which can be added to mount an external block. Requires removal of existing cover and drill and tap a couple screws.
NG1 Masthead

• Helpful
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A line of cattle excrement would not quite suffice. You -cannot- effectively use the factory crane with a top down rig, the swivels will get hung up on each other.
theres been lots of chatter about that, i wound up making a new crane, and the block is 10” forward.
meriachee.wordpress.com.
its detailed there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
placement of the winches where I need room to move around.
Very good point. When you are locating new winches, I like to sit in the cockpit and go through the motions of sail management. Sitting on the cockpit coamings is sometimes part of sailing. You do not want to sit on a winch.
You want to have the room to wind the winch handle. You need space to handle the lines and the lines need to have a fair lead to blocks or the sail.
For me it’s not just about “that’s where other boats have a winch”.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Our boats use an Isomat NG1 masthead which has an internal spin halyard using a small roller at the front which is not optimal but workable. The attached page from rigrite shows a blow-up of the masthead and also the optional spinaker crane which can be added to mount an external block. Requires removal of existing cover and drill and tap a couple screws.
NG1 Masthead
That's great info. I can't say that I'm all that familiar with how everything is organized up the mast. Seeing that this will be my first winter with the boat, I have several reasons now to take the mast down and see what's what!