Spinnaker topping lift

Jun 5, 2018
Beneteau 35S5 Buffalo, NY
Looking for information on setting up the spinnaker topping lift, pictures or manual would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Do you already have a topping lift on the mast that you can use for spinnaker raising / lowering the spinnaker pole? Otherwise you might want to install a dedicated spinnaker pole topping lift, which exits the mast about one half to two thirds of the way up. These resources might be helpful:

Selden manual: http://www.seldenmast.com/files/595-560-E.pdf

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do you mean spinnaker POLE topping lift? I suggest installing a "mast hound" at the desired height.... say about 2/3 up and make it completely external. Your 35 footer may need a winch for hoist assistance.... if you already have a halyard winch on the mast you can double duty it if you install cleats above. If not, rig the TL 2:1.... that's what I do on my pole's fore guy (downhaul) and TL. Or install a small single speed standard winch. Leaving everything at the mast allows the crew to handle the pole adjustment …. if your spinnaker halyard is located there also then one or two can easily handle things besides all the other foredeck duties. Running internal topping lift will require cutting a slot for the upper and lower exit blocks. The hound solution give you substantial support strength and the convenience of installing a swivel block.... since the pole will swing from side to side when you gibe.
As a bonus, the 2:1 external topping lift works well as a hoist for storing the dinghy on the foredeck.

Jun 5, 2018
Do you already have a topping lift on the mast that you can use for spinnaker raising / lowering the spinnaker pole? Otherwise you might want to install a dedicated spinnaker pole topping lift, which exits the mast about one half to two thirds of the way up. These resources might be helpful:

Thank You for the info it is helpful

Jun 5, 2018

Thanks for the info it is helpful

Jun 5, 2018
Do you mean spinnaker POLE topping lift? I suggest installing a "mast hound" at the desired height.... say about 2/3 up and make it completely external. Your 35 footer may need a winch for hoist assistance.... if you already have a halyard winch on the mast you can double duty it if you install cleats above. If not, rig the TL 2:1.... that's what I do on my pole's fore guy (downhaul) and TL. Or install a small single speed standard winch. Leaving everything at the mast allows the crew to handle the pole adjustment …. if your spinnaker halyard is located there also then one or two can easily handle things besides all the other foredeck duties. Running internal topping lift will require cutting a slot for the upper and lower exit blocks. The hound solution give you substantial support strength and the convenience of installing a swivel block.... since the pole will swing from side to side when you gibe.
As a bonus, the 2:1 external topping lift works well as a hoist for storing the dinghy on the foredeck.
Thank You