Spinnaker sheet around prop

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I finally did it-got the spinnaker sheet in the prop while dousing the sail.
I have a diver coming out to remove the line from the prop and inspect for any damage. Engine was low RPM so not sure what kind of damage I can expect, if any. I think if there is any vibration that is new, I will pull the boat to check things out. If all seems normal I will keep going for now.
Your thoughts?

PS: I was able to sail through the marina into my slip without incident.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Catalina 25 with the inboard? Rare boat!

You're doing the right things. If the line was not dyneema cored, there probably was enough stretch in the line to not damage anything before the engine stopped. But you'll just have to see.

You may have learned the lesson now, but never make a sail configuration change (particularly a spinnaker!) with the motor running in gear. And even then, always check for lines over the side before you engage the prop.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sorry to miss what may be obvious, but tell me why the engine was on in the first place.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Sorry to miss what may be obvious, but tell me why the engine was on in the first place.
I crossed the finish line very close to the shallow shore line. Due to the wind direction I needed to motor away from the shore area while the spinnaker was being doused. Was not a good decision to finish so close to shallow water. We were very lucky not to run aground while removing the spinnaker and trying to sail away from the shallow water.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I crossed the finish line very close to the shallow shore line. Due to the wind direction I needed to motor away from the shore area while the spinnaker was being doused. Was not a good decision to finish so close to shallow water. We were very lucky not to run aground while removing the spinnaker and trying to sail away from the shallow water.
I see... sounds like an easy fix, though.. work on the take down process and stay away from thin water. heh,heh. Good Luck.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Well I got lucky. Diver cleared the prop and inspected for damage and found none. Ran the engine at normal running RPM, in gear, and no vibration. Also, he cleaned the hull. Good to go now. Maybe I will fair a little better in the race today.
:)