Spinnaker setup?

May 9, 2011
Hi everyone. My boat came with a symmetrical spinnaker and pole that I'm slowly in the process of setting back up. The mystery for me at the moment is that I can't see how the uphaul and downhaul were configured, and the manual doesn't give any real clues other than to say the spinnaker was optional. The rear fittings for the sheet blocks are in place, as is a block for the uphaul on the mast (which looks to be original) but other then that I can so no other obvious hardware mounted for the spinnaker and even the blocks for the sheets weren't attached when I purchased her so I'm not even sure if the spinnaker has ever been set up, although I would assume it must've been at some time previously.

Can anyone describe or point me to a picture of a typical setup for the spinnaker specific to the Vega? I have to confess that I've never flown a symmetric spinnaker although our last boat had an asymmetric which we flew at every opportunity.

And one other thing, is a sock a worthwhile investment, or can the spinnaker be flow fine without one?

Cheers

Feb 12, 2008
It sounds like you have most of the setup there.
I have a plate with holes in it under the mast base that I attach a block for the downhaul.
Here's link where you can find a rigging diagram: Spinnaker Rigging

When we first started flying a spinnaker, we used a sock. The sock is great for controlling the sets and douses, but has more lines to get tangled and is more of a hassle.
If you have enough crew, setting and dousing from the turtle bag is not a big deal, but then again, we don't fly in very strong winds either. A crew of 3 works well.
I remember reading about a guy on this forum that was something like 90 years old that described how he flies a spinnaker singlehanded. I was impressed.
In light airs, the spinnaker really helps out the boat.

The key to setting and dousing for us is to blanket the spinnaker behind the genoa and/or the mainsail first. Hope this helps. -Tim

Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2012 6:55 PM
Subject: [AlbinVega] Spinnaker setup?

Hi everyone. My boat came with a symmetrical spinnaker and pole that I'm slowly in the process of setting back up. The mystery for me at the moment is that I can't see how the uphaul and downhaul were configured, and the manual doesn't give any real clues other than to say the spinnaker was optional. The rear fittings for the sheet blocks are in place, as is a block for the uphaul on the mast (which looks to be original) but other then that I can so no other obvious hardware mounted for the spinnaker and even the blocks for the sheets weren't attached when I purchased her so I'm not even sure if the spinnaker has ever been set up, although I would assume it must've been at some time previously.

Can anyone describe or point me to a picture of a typical setup for the spinnaker specific to the Vega? I have to confess that I've never flown a symmetric spinnaker although our last boat had an asymmetric which we flew at every opportunity.

And one other thing, is a sock a worthwhile investment, or can the spinnaker be flow fine without one?

Cheers

Aug 29, 2011
Having been a single hander for most of my sailing I have not used my
spinnaker, but now that Faith, my wife, is becoming a keen helm, and after
the frustrations of light airs this year, I am planning to use our
spinnaker next year. Beowulf came with one, and a good pole. But I have
questions about the rigging.

The pole does not have a bridle, and only an connection point for the
uphaul. Is a downhaul necessary?

My last boat, a Contessa 26, had blocks as far aft as possible at the
quarters for the sheets (or are they guys?) and a dedicated pair of
winches, a size smaller than the jib sheet winches. Beowulf does not have
either. There is a set of blocks at the aft end of the track that takes the
job sheet blocks, or I could attach blocks to the feet of the pushpit
stanchions. But what should I do about winches?

Thanks for any advice. Tom

Tom Fenton, SV Beowulf, Vega 2977

Jan 31, 2009
Hi Tom - you definitely need a downhaul, I take mine down to the cleat on the foredeck.

On my Vega there are two small eyes just forward of the leg of the pushpit that will take the turning blocks for the sheets, alternatively there is a lug on the bottom of the pushpit leg.

I use the normal jib winches as my foresail is usually down when flying the spinnaker.Mike________________________________
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 8 November 2012, 8:37
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Spinnaker setup?

Having been a single hander for most of my sailing I have not used my
spinnaker, but now that Faith, my wife, is becoming a keen helm, and after
the frustrations of light airs this year, I am planning to use our
spinnaker next year. Beowulf came with one, and a good pole. But I have
questions about the rigging.

The pole does not have a bridle, and only an connection point for the
uphaul. Is a downhaul necessary?

My last boat, a Contessa 26, had blocks as far aft as possible at the
quarters for the sheets (or are they guys?) and a dedicated pair of
winches, a size smaller than the jib sheet winches. Beowulf does not have
either. There is a set of blocks at the aft end of the track that takes the
job sheet blocks, or I could attach blocks to the feet of the pushpit
stanchions. But what should I do about winches?

Thanks for any advice. Tom

Tom Fenton, SV Beowulf, Vega 2977

Oct 2, 2005
It has been a couple of years since I flew the symmetrical. After I began using the asem I found that one so much easier that I brought the symmetrical home. I've always felt a little guilty that I gave up and had never gotten comfortable with it, so this thread is good in that it will get me to take the sail back to the boat.

The down haul is necessary in that it keeps the pole, and sail, down. I ran it to a padeye mounted on the cabin top just forward of the fore hatch. If I recall it is a couple of single blocks. The tail comes back to the cockpit and is well secured to cleat, not a cam cleat. As mentioned the sheet and guy go to the stern quarters at the pulpit. There should be a tab low on the front leg of the pulpit. The genoa track won't bring the sheet far enough back. I always hoisted with a smaller jib, rather than from behind the genoa, because I wanted the jib to fall on deck without my needing to attend to it, and I pulled the jib down, after the spin hoist, with a downhaul on the jib.

There was a sock on the boat when I bought her and I tried to figure out how I could use it but 2 additional lines were just too much, and I gave up.

It is worth marking the halyard where she will be cleated with the sail up. From the cockpit it is difficult to know if she's home and its easier to trim if there is not 2 feet of halyard yet to pull up. . . . and perhaps installing a stopper at the halyard shackle, so that it won't be possible to jam the splice in the block at the top of the mast (though perhaps that's a scenario that only haunts me).

I hoisted from the port bow, pole to starboard, the guy to stern quarter and back to the starboard sheet winch. The sheet came back to the port quarter and then to a winch on the cabin top, because the port sheet winch had the jib. It should not be difficult to cleat off the jib and bring the spin sheet to the winch though.

I never learned to gibe her so I would make my run and then bring the sail down to the cockpit. Ease the guy to the forestay ( I made up a short line that would clip from the pole to the chain plates which kept the pole from actually reaching the forestay) blanket the spin, grasp the leech, release the guy then the halyard and pull her down. If the halyard had been dropped down the companionway to keep the deck clear it would have been a good idea to put a beach towel under the sink pedals to avoid it hanging up, and a big surprise at an awkward moment.

This has been good, It helps me think it through again. My issue I think was that I like to at least feel that I have some control over my little world, and flying the symmetrical I felt I was right on the edge. It was exciting though.

(Over trimming a little helped the control issue some.)

Craig Tern V1519

Oct 30, 2019
I have used that trick that is on the Selden link with the rubber bands
since about 1991 for hoisting without a sock, and let me tell you, it works
like magic.

Feb 12, 2008
Gybing is not so hard. Although we only fly in manageable wind.
If I'm working the foredeck for a gybe, and the wind is not so strong, I'll stand with my back to the mast facing forward, and as the helmsman gets close to a dead downwind course,
I'll unclip the pole first from the mast and then from the guy, leaving whoever is trimming to clip fly the spinnaker poleless. Next I pull the cable to open the spin pole jaws and hook the sheet and then clip the other end of the
pole to the mast ring. At this point , the main is ready to pull over, I tell the helmsman "made" and she pulls the main over as she turns the boat.

The guy is just the sheet that is in the jaws of the spinnaker. The sheet is the line that is trimmed, so as you gybe, the sheet and guy change names. We have different colored sheets (red and green), which causes less
confusion. Rather than say, ease the guy, we will say ease the green or ease the red (depending on which one is the current guy).

Other tips: if you get hit by a big shift, and really heel over, steer downwind. If you are getting overpowered, ease the sheet rather than the guy.
We get some really shifty big gusts in our little boat, and when we get into trouble, we blow the halyard rather than the sheets. The halyard is long enough so that the spinnaker can lay out flat and still not run out of the clutch if

we let it go. You've probably seen videos on youtube of boats whose spinnaker is way up in the sky like a kite because the sheets were dumped and the halyard is still tight.
It seems to make more sense to drop the halyard and haul in the sheets, so that spinnaker it attached lower on the boat (rather than the top of the mast) to avoid a broach.

Usually if we drop the halyard, we are too big of sissies to haul it back up and continue on in gusty conditions, but in theory, you could haul it back up and continue on.

I got this idea of dumping the halyard from watching youtube. Although the Melges use asymmetrical spinnaker, they are fun to watch and learn from, as they wipe out a lot.
Here's a video of Melges sailing in stronger winds:
Note that around 6:12 the boat that drops the halyard rehoists and keeps going. Earlier in the vid, you can see boats in trouble with the spinnaker flying wildly from the top of the mast. -Tim
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:58 PM
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Spinnaker setup?

It has been a couple of years since I flew the symmetrical. After I began using the asem I found that one so much easier that I brought the symmetrical home. I've always felt a little guilty that I gave up and had never gotten comfortable with it, so this thread is good in that it will get me to take the sail back to the boat.

The down haul is necessary in that it keeps the pole, and sail, down. I ran it to a padeye mounted on the cabin top just forward of the fore hatch. If I recall it is a couple of single blocks. The tail comes back to the cockpit and is well secured to cleat, not a cam cleat. As mentioned the sheet and guy go to the stern quarters at the pulpit. There should be a tab low on the front leg of the pulpit. The genoa track won't bring the sheet far enough back. I always hoisted with a smaller jib, rather than from behind the genoa, because I wanted the jib to fall on deck without my needing to attend to it, and I pulled the jib down, after the spin hoist, with a downhaul on the jib.

There was a sock on the boat when I bought her and I tried to figure out how I could use it but 2 additional lines were just too much, and I gave up.

It is worth marking the halyard where she will be cleated with the sail up. From the cockpit it is difficult to know if she's home and its easier to trim if there is not 2 feet of halyard yet to pull up. . . . and perhaps installing a stopper at the halyard shackle, so that it won't be possible to jam the splice in the block at the top of the mast (though perhaps that's a scenario that only haunts me).

I hoisted from the port bow, pole to starboard, the guy to stern quarter and back to the starboard sheet winch. The sheet came back to the port quarter and then to a winch on the cabin top, because the port sheet winch had the jib. It should not be difficult to cleat off the jib and bring the spin sheet to the winch though.

I never learned to gibe her so I would make my run and then bring the sail down to the cockpit. Ease the guy to the forestay ( I made up a short line that would clip from the pole to the chain plates which kept the pole from actually reaching the forestay) blanket the spin, grasp the leech, release the guy then the halyard and pull her down. If the halyard had been dropped down the companionway to keep the deck clear it would have been a good idea to put a beach towel under the sink pedals to avoid it hanging up, and a big surprise at an awkward moment.

This has been good, It helps me think it through again. My issue I think was that I like to at least feel that I have some control over my little world, and flying the symmetrical I felt I was right on the edge. It was exciting though.

(Over trimming a little helped the control issue some.)

Craig Tern V1519

Oct 30, 2019
I wrote a some blog entries about spinnaker handling, see
On The Wind It's in 3 parts.

Nicholas H. Walsh P.A.

120 Exchange Street

P.O. Box 7206

Portland ME 04112

207/772-2191

Fax 207/774-3940

This email is from a law firm and may contain material that is confidential
or privileged. If you suspect you were not the intended recipient, please
delete the email and give us a call.

Feb 12, 2008
Nicholas,
Nicely written blog. It is good to see you are back at it. -Tim________________________________
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2012 5:57 AM
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] Re: Spinnaker setup?

I wrote a some blog entries about spinnaker handling, see
On The Wind It's in 3 parts.

Nicholas H. Walsh P.A.

120 Exchange Street

P.O. Box 7206

Portland ME 04112

207/772-2191

Fax 207/774-3940

This email is from a law firm and may contain material that is confidential
or privileged. If you suspect you were not the intended recipient, please
delete the email and give us a call.

May 9, 2011
I second that for all the good information. I've set all the blocks in
place on the boat based on the info supplied here. I just have to now send
the wife up the mast to thread the uphaul through the block and get the
sheets and guys organised and I'm good to go. And I'm really keen to have a
go at it too. I was out single handling this last weekend and had to run
for about three hours dead downwind in about 8 to 10 knots of breeze, so
the idea of flying a kite was never far from my thoughts!

Which leads me to my next question, now I think of it. Can the spinnaker
pole be used double duty to hang a genoa (approx 130%) out to windward for
wing to wing sailing? (I know, I know, I should have tried it for myself).