spinnaker pole

Apr 7, 2006
Does any one have the dimensions for a Challenger pole? I'm looking for a wood one but only know the length is around 14'. Worst case I could build one- but not this year- too much going on.

On another subject I'm waiting for feed back from a few places for 2010.

Thanks, Jon

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I can easily measure mine for exact details. I believe it's built of 2 pieces of spruce glued together. Probably about 3" thick in the middle tapering to each end fitting. It's quite light and strong. If you were patient and have a friendly lumber yard near you, you could probably find a couple of nearly clear 2x6x14' boards.

In my experience, 2x6's can be found with less knots than 4" You may even find a clearish 2x8" you could rip.

It would be pretty easy to glue and then cut the tapers. I've built a couple small spars that way with good results. At any rate, it looks right on a boat with spruce spars.

As far as a get together, I'm open and waiting for interest as well. There certainly are options up here in Penobscot Bay that could be considered. As far as reserving some dock space, I don't know what kind of lead time places need.

I would be in favor of what location would enable the most Challengers and other Alden boats to meet at.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Jon, here's some details on the spinnaker pole. It has a good taper not evident in this photo. The pole is 3 1/2" thick at the center and carries that out quite fully before it tapers at the ends to 2". The end fittings fit over the spruce and have two straps with several screw holes(you can see in the photo). I don't know where you could find these but you'd need something similar for wood. As the pole is in behind my mizzen, booms, etc etc. I couldn't get the length but that would be the J.

It needs all that 3 1/2" through most of it, I've had some pretty good bends in it.

Attachments

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Once, when researching for the fitting of a spinnaker to a classic yacht in my charge which hadn't had one from launching day for the first 58 years of her life, I was convinced by an argument in a 1940's American book for the structural benefits and ease of construction of a square section wood pole. Unfortunately I can't remember the book's details just now. To be in keeping with period for a U.K. built boat designed in 1938 we had a round section pole made.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Interesting Iain. Square. Of course it's the compression load that gets a spinnaker pole. And this one I have with a bridle for both the pole lift and downhaul, keeps flexing forces to a minimum, at least well off the wind. But I've seen it with quite a bit of bend a couple of times, usually when it was way past time to be flying a spinnaker. But that does happen with spinnakers, they are the most fun you can have sailing in my mind.

It may be a benefit to wood, the flexing. In past boats, the aluminum pole didn't show much bend in heavy air. The elasticity of wood, may give it some warning.

I've tried to locate some of these ends for Jon and the only faint lead so far was in the UK, from an old unused pole. They sound too small at first glance though. Maybe some will surface.

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
Iain McAllister said:
Once, when researching for the fitting of a spinnaker to a classic yacht in my charge which hadn't had one from launching day for the first 58 years of her life, I was convinced by an argument in a 1940's American book for the structural benefits and ease of construction of a square section wood pole. Unfortunately I can't remember the book's details just now. To be in keeping with period for a U.K. built boat designed in 1938 we had a round section pole made.
I had a square pole on my old Pearson Invicta. Looked as if they had used a standard 4X4.