Spinnaker pole

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
We recently purchased a 1984 Hunter 22. She came with a spinnaker in great shape, but no pole. My husband is a woodworker & could probably make one, but we need dimensions. Any ideas?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
The problem is it would not be adjustable without some real creative innovations. Since the price is right; I would run out my Genoa/Drifter to the most common position when deployed and measure that distance from mast eye to sail grommet. Various connectors can be used, even a tie line. Plastic pipe w/ end caps can be used with a wood pole insert for strength as well. Lots of inventive options! Chief

PS: Sorry about responding to spinnaker pole with Genoa/Drifter info!

Last edited:

pieyed

Dec 9, 2012
hunter 25 Compton, Ar
Your spinnaker pole will need to clear the for-stay when it is snapped to the pad-eye on the mast track so you can jibe the spinnaker. It should be a little shorter than the J dimension on your boat. spinnaker pole lengths are not adjustable.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Great ideas; will give us something to think about & work on through the long, cold winter while waiting for the sailing season to come back around. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You might get away with making the pole, but you will have to buy the fittings for the ends. Get those first before you start turning the pole. 2 inch or maybe even smaller will be fine.

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
Symmetrical or asymmetrical spinnaker? What kind of pole you need and how you attach it makes a difference. As does the running rigging for it.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
The spinnaker pole for my gen-1 H25 is a Sunfish mast. Two-inch diameter, 10 ft long, exactly the right size for regulation PHRF, and fitted with Forespar XP ends. Done. Cost-- for the ends and hardware only.

Aluminum tubing can be had anywhere, for cheap. Look around-- even Lowe's carries some of it.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
First you have to determine if you have an asymmetrical or symmetrical spinnaker. The asym does not use a pole, but the latter does. If you have a regular symmetrical spinnaker (they come in different cuts: radial head, tri-radial or starcut for example) then you need a pole which IS NOT adjustable. If you ever want to race, the spinnaker pole should be the exact length of your J area (which is from the stemhead fitting to your mast). If it is too short, then you are doing yourself injustice and if too long, then you are looking to get penalized by the race committee or competitor. The symmetrical spinnaker designed for your boat would require a pole the same measurement as your J dimension (and not "a little shorter" as some one suggested).

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Okay further demonstrating my lack of knowledge on this topic, having just watched a very good video on utube, I believe what we have is an asym gennaker, which is new to me, having grown up sailing a Rhodes 19 in the 60's the only option was a sym spinnaker. The sail is packed in a sock so I think it is fair to assume that it is an asym spinnaker so we don't need a pole, right?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Very likely correct. Hoist it on a windless day, then you can see what it looks like without worrying about it filling. There are attachment points already, (assuming it came with the boat) so it's just a matter of how it ties on.
If it's any help, think of the sail as a big genoa, for downwind, and don't think traditional kite. The asym is easy to fly and a gas when you're passing everybody in sight!

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
If it's any help, think of the sail as a big genoa, for downwind, and don't think traditional kite. The asym is easy to fly and a gas when you're passing everybody in sight!
This info is correct and the only difference being the way the sail moves when coming about. The sail actually totally comes about in front of the forstay, not across the bow beneath the forstay. You use 3 sheets. A port and starboard and then a center sheet to let it fly up in front of you. The center sheet uses a block attached to the front of your boat, generally off the pulpit rail or what ever your boat is fitted with. The port and starboard sheets need to be long enough for the spinnaker sail to come about in front of the forstay and generally rest when they are not in use. I found this link to be a good explanation when trying to figure it out.

www.fxsails.com/spinnarticle2.php

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Next: Bowsprit

Now that you've determined you don't need the pole because you have an asymmetrical spinnaker, you may be interested in a bowsprit to extend the sail over the bow, away from the main. Dozens of HOW subscribers have used it.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Small & light

I really think it the pole looks like a toy and will last maybe 5 minutes before
the strain of the sail and wind will make that pole look like a pretzel.:eek:
Most sprits I have seen are around 2 1/2 or 3'' round aluminum.
Nick

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
seadaddler: You should read the small print. That sucker has 1" galvanized pipe inside the plastic pipe! Chief

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
1"

Yes I see it but I think too small but hey go for it and see what happens.
Not me.
Nick

pieyed

Dec 9, 2012
hunter 25 Compton, Ar
First you have to determine if you have an asymmetrical or symmetrical spinnaker. The asym does not use a pole, but the latter does. If you have a regular symmetrical spinnaker (they come in different cuts: radial head, tri-radial or starcut for example) then you need a pole which IS NOT adjustable. If you ever want to race, the spinnaker pole should be the exact length of your J area (which is from the stemhead fitting to your mast). If it is too short, then you are doing yourself injustice and if too long, then you are looking to get penalized by the race committee or competitor. The symmetrical spinnaker designed for your boat would require a pole the same measurement as your J dimension (and not "a little shorter" as some one suggested).

In the real world, exact is hard to come by especially if you are making it by hand. Trust me on this one. If you get good at racing the boat and you don't want to be protested, make sure you err on the side of a little short of the J Dim. for length of pole on your boat. If your J Dim. is 8'-0" make it 7'-11" +/-. HTH JD P.S. You may need to install a topping lift and a down hall connection to the pole. On a small boat like yours you might get by with out it. You will have to experiment. Hats off to you for making your own pole.

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
It is a moot point here because of the asymmetrical spinnaker, but with the full spinnaker, old style, radial head, or try-radial:

The spinnaker pole length shall equal the "J" dimension, Period.

If you like the spinnaker you have, you can keep your spinnaker.
If you like your foredeck crew, you can keep your foredeck crew.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Quite the interesting dialogue; glad to have started the thread. I do believe it to be an asym gennaker so we won't be making the spinnaker pole after all, but we have enjoyed stirring the pot!