Spinnaker Halyard exit

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I'm replacing my halyards and masthead sheaves, adding a spinnaker halyard as my boat did not have one. Probaby won't ever get a spinnaker but I want to have an extra halyard. My question is, does anyone with one of the Isomat masts know how the spinnaker halyard should exit the mast head? There's a pin with two rollers that it looks like the halyard would be routed over (circled in red in the picture below) but that doesn't seem right as there would be a lot of friction and seems likely to jam sometime. Am I missing a sheave there? Alternatively, I could use one of the main or jib halyard exits as there are two for each of those.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Yes, you are missing sheaves, fully loaded those axles carry 2 each, while I use the internal halyard I'm real careful how I lead the halyard with that little roller. There is an external crane available that many recommend but requires drilling and tapping for 2 screws. You still need to get at least one more of the large sheaves for that axle to make the turn down the mast. I'll attach a diagram from rig-rite should show it all, there are places that may have the sheaves cheaper.
Masthead sheaves

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Thanks for the image from Rig-Rite, I didn't see that. I bought sheaves from them, not cheap but they had them, and have one for the spinnaker halyard. I'm not crazy about that set-up (parts 5 and 6 in the diagram) and can see why people add an external crane. Since I don't need it for a apinnaker, I think I'm going to add a sheave to the forward axle and run the extra halyard alongside the jib halyard. Thanks.