Spinaker.

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
i bought my boat in November last year. It has an asymmetrical spinnaker tha I finally decided to try today. It didn’t go so well. First I have roller furling headsail that rotates around the forestay. I’m using the halyard that I’m assuming would have been for a head sail. The foot of the spinnaker attaches in front of the pulpit. It seems like the headsail interfere with each other. The snuffer is hard to work as when the sail is snuffed it wants t wrap and interfere with the fuller. Maybe the spinnaker will have to be stowed to more on to headsail. I was hoping the might get along better. Any ideas

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Spinnaker halyard should exit the mast above the forestay attachment point.

Nov 14, 2018
Maybe 2” that’s all. I think the halyard I’m trying to use was for Genoa before furling.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Assume you have a CDI furler with an integrated halyard, leaving the one that exits just below the forestay unused. Assuming the previous owner used the asymm, is there a block attached to the mast just above the stay attachment? If so, or if it looks like there is a fitting to which a block could be attached, that is probably for the asymm halyard.

My H23 has an unused sheave in the fitting that holds the forestay, just above the stay attachment. If you also have one you could route the asymm halyard through that.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
As long as it's above and clear, it's okay.

The halyard doesn't have to be "all the way up".
I believe are a bunch of YouTube and other videos on the web that gie you some pointers.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i'm great at flying spinnakers. so, a spinnaker halyard is above/ in front of the fore stay. this is so you can jibe to either side and still clear the fore stay. snuffers are great. here is how you do it when cruising. sail deep down wind with the boom all the way out. this creates a wind shadow. hoist the spinnaker in the wind shadow, set the down haul/tack, raise the snuffer, start trimming the sheet, then round up to course, trim.
to douse the sail do the reverse. sail deep down wind, boom all the way out, sail will collapse in the shadow, the second the sail collapses pull down snuffer, then let down the sail with the halyard. easy peezee :)

do it 5 times in a row. takes ten minutes. then you and the crew will get a feel for it and you will start using it allot like me.

Nov 14, 2018
Yes it is cdi. Previous owner said he only used assym once. For now I think I understand that. I’ll check tube. I didn’t say but this is an H26

Nov 14, 2018
Looks like I’ll have see what I can do this winter in the shop. Halyard is very close to forestay on mast. I might be asking to much to have asym raised in front of furler and be able to use both. For now I think I’ll put th asym away and get a good look at rig when I bring her home this winter. Today was not a good day at the lake. I’ll get it right and try again next spring

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Install a new halyard maybe a foot or so above the original.

Nov 14, 2018
That is my thought as well. And let down asym before rolling out furler. Might find a crew as welll. Right now no crew. Just me.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Unless you have a lot of separation between the jib/forestay and the sock, the sock will interfere with the roller furler. You need to drop the sock before rolling out the genoa.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Looks like I’ll have see what I can do this winter in the shop. Halyard is very close to forestay on mast. I might be asking to much to have asym raised in front of furler and be able to use both. For now I think I’ll put th asym away and get a good look at rig when I bring her home this winter. Today was not a good day at the lake. I’ll get it right and try again next spring
I found a photo that might help. If I understand you correctly you were/are thinking you could have your headsail unfurled AND fly the asym at the same time. I’ve seen that done but it’s asking a lot when you are trying to sort things out. Most everyone that I know rolls up the headsail so it’s out of the equation. I’ve been where you are, thinking it’s going to be fun and then wrestling with a flapping monster that has a mind of its own. If you have a halyard that’s above the forestay don’t give up flying as it’s truly rewarding and a lot of fun. Even if your mast doesn’t have the correct halyard in place you could drop the main and use it’s halyard. Just pick a day with a light steady breeze and experiment.

Here’s the photo, notice the asym and all of its controls are OUT?SIDE of anything else
752A377D-4695-4A48-B470-1CD74738BBE9.jpeg

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The headsail and the asym will not work together. You also just got done saying that you're solo. How you gonna control the tiller, the main, the jib and the kite, and maybe look out the boat to see what you may be about to hit?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you are sailing alone, on an Arkansas lake, you'll really need to do some things a bit differently than with a crew.
You don't have an autopilot on that Hunter 26, do you?

How much TRUE wind speed did you put it up in? (It's not putting up a chute that's the almost always the issue, it's taking it down :^)))).)

Aside from the comments above you'll really probably need a combination of tactics. The "blanketing" the chute is the preferred method -- unless you get hit with an un-expected jibe. (I had my WORST spinnaker experience with my wife and our 2,000 SF chute when that happened; and, the chute wrapped the forestay in 20+ knots true wind.)

You need to de-power the chute. That involves getting the sock down. Usually blanketing is the easiest way, however. Sometimes you can "blow" the sheet; sometimes you can blow the tack; then you pull the sock down and secure it. DON'T mess with the roller furling jib, unless you're a maniac, until you get the chute put away.

You need "lake-room" to do these maneuvers.

Etc., etc.

Nov 14, 2018
I did have everything rigged outside. Probably the only part I got right. For now I think rigging the halyard above forestay will be first winter project. I didn’t try to use assym and headsail simultaneously bot had hoped I could roll out furler withe the sock down but not dropped. You are right that didn’t work. I do have an auto pilot. Yesterday was pretty discouraging but a little rest and the info you have all provided will make me and the boat better prepared for another attempt next year.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Find someone with experience in flying the Asym and have them go with you to help you sort out the mechanics of it. Will help a lot IMO.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Do you have a photo of the top of the mast near the stay attachment, and another of the bottom of the stay and area where the tack attaches? Do you have winches near the stern for the asymm sheets?

You might be able to use it for now with the existing jib halyard that is under the stay. That would depend on how much line there is between the asymm head and the mast. If enough, say near a foot, I suppose you could fly it. If you raise it on (say) the port tack, the sail would be off to starboard and the halyard would hang to stbd under the stay. Making sure the sheets are both totally outside, and the lazy sheet is routed around the front of the forestay, if you gybed (the kite clew going forward and then around the stay to the other side from the front) the halyard would wrap not quite once around the furler or stay wire. When you gybed back, it would unwrap. I wouldn't necessarily want that, as on the tack that has it "wrapped" I think it might be tough to lower in an emergency. If you can lower the mast and install a block, that would be better of course.
You may also want to consider a tacker, e.g., the ATN brand tacker.

Last edited: