Spider prevention?

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
We keep our boat slipped at a marina on a lake in the Midwest. As the summer has progressed, I’ve increasingly encountered spiders on the boat after a week or sometimes two between sailing outings. The last time they were everywhere topside. Harmless (I think/hope!), but super annoying... mainly because they make webs everywhere.

Anybody know of a good product, not harmful to people and not (too) bad for the environment, for keeping spiders from making their home one the boat?

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
We use Home Defense once a month. Spray you dock lines and canvas. Works like a charm!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Question.
Frogs eat insects. Does this include spiders? If so inviting Kermit to go sailing might be an invitation to a feast. If you also have the peppermint on the boat, He would have great smelling breath should the spiders like peppermint.

I know not very scientific. But it is thinking outside of the box.
Ribbit.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am a fan of bifenthrin .. has a lasting effect when sprayed under the toe rail edges and under the bimini.. It is the active ingredient in Home Defense suff.. It is relatively benign to humans.. Not good for fish, so I keep within the treatment concentrations.. Here, where mosquitoes get big enough to fillet, it is a great yard treatment that keeps them away for a couple of months..

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
Try a product called miss muffets revenge. Home defense works but you are constantly respraying.

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
Good advice so far. Don’t forget to spray under stern seats and under rub rails. I’ve noticed that they tend to favor storage lockers and other enclosed areas, but it’s an ongoing battle.

Oct 22, 2014
Last time we were at his boat, @LeslieTroyer triggered a couple of bug bombs on the boat. Going to kill spiders and everything else that crawls aboard.

No idea how that worked out.

Pretty sure it got into all the corners of the boat. Sure would not want to be caught inside.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I about to try hedgeapples. They are all over the place in the woods near our marina. Not scientifically proven to be effective, but they also don't cost anything.

Oct 22, 2014
Now there are Scorpions on boats. What’s this world coming to?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Last time we were at his boat, @LeslieTroyer triggered a couple of bug bombs on the boat. Going to kill spiders and everything else that crawls aboard.

No idea how that worked out.

Pretty sure it got into all the corners of the boat. Sure would not want to be caught inside.
I dont see any around. Of course I didn’t see any before, Son said he was bit a few times so Admiral evicted the fumigation. Much easier than arguing with the Admiral. Just taking the last of the cooking utensils home to give good wash in dishwasher -even though they were covered.

Les

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've had reason to frequent the Do It Yourself Pest Control Website for fleas (https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/.htm) and finally was successful at solving a persistent flea problem. The product that worked was Alpine. But according to their info you not only have to kill the current population, of whatever, you have to prevent the next generation from growing from larva to the next stage. So they Rx use of of insecticide and a product classified as a IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) which prevents the larva from becoming adults. Spiders are different than fleas but if the infestation comes back after the initial insecticide you may consider an IGR. You only twitch for a few days.

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
You have to all remember that if you have spiders they are there because there is a food source for them. In other words, you have more than spiders!

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I about to try hedgeapples. They are all over the place in the woods near our marina. Not scientifically proven to be effective, but they also don't cost anything.
Been there done that years ago. I found a lot of spiders living on them! Old wives tale.