Specs - Mast Height?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R. Young

In the spec section it gives the mast height. Is this the mast alone or it height above the water line?

M

Marc Honey

Height above water...

Height above water is my understanding. If it shows 55' it should clear a 60' bridge. If it says 65' it won't.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Quite Profound

Marc: That was VERY profound. I like your way of thinking straight forward and to the point. <g>

C

Claude L.-Auger

Profound indeed

Steve, but a no-brainer. The real question is what would Marc do if it showed 59...or 61..., or worse yet 60 ?

L

Lee Urbani

Its' taller than you think

The published mast height for my 37.5 is 59' 9" above DWL which is design water line. As we all know that will vary with loaded weight. But don't forget that most of these vessels have at least a 3' radio antenna and at the very least a windex sitting up there too. Also don't forget that the height given on a chart is at mean high water, not high high water. My advice is that if this deminsion is critical, like you have a fixed bridge or powerlines to go under measure your vessel and be aware of the tidal conditions when you plan your transit, don't guess, it could be an expensive mistake.

P

Phil Teter

Mast heigth

My book shows following Mast Height for a Hunter 37 Above deck is 44' 11" Above water line is 50' 00"

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Not all 37' are created equal.

The mast height above the water is different depending on the year (obviously) 86-89 37 - 59' 78-86 37C - 50' 90-96 37.5 - 59' 96-98 376 - 60'1" These are the published specs from the HOW site. Your measurements may vary depending on your Lat/Lon. or was that Attitude? <g>

C

Claude L.-Auger

Masthead altitude

Steve, your wondering about Lat/Lon or perhaps Attitude made me think of another area of worries: we all know that the density of fresh water differs than sea water. And that will make a boat ride higher or lower on the water. Consequently, while the distance from the water level to the top of the mast is normally given as part of the specs, I would imagine that to trust that measurement, one would have to also know the density of the water where the boat was first measured, and also where the boat is currently located, thus being able to calibrated the measure accurately in order to get the precise altitude of the masthead. If you have had the fortitude to read this thread until now, I won't have the turpitude of carrying any further and will go get a beer, hopefully not in solitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.