Specific Question - Standard Horizon Chartplotter/VHF

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Hi all,

I have a SH CP300i chart plotter and a SH GX2100 VHF on our Hunter 320. They work well enough but for some reason the chart plotter doesn't display all AIS. I can see the larger ships so I'm assuming that it's reading the class A ok, but when other AIS signals are noted on the VHF display, they don't register on the chart plotter.

I've been through the various menus and manual, but I can't figure out how to display them all, or if it's even possible. I've played with the various I/O settings on the chart plotter but no difference from what I can tell. I'm assuming the VHF is working fine as they display on the radio, but otherwise I'm a bit perplexed.

Appreciate any insight.

Regards,

Kevy

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Sorry I don't have the exact same Standard Horizon models as you do, but I have both a Standard Horizon Chart Plotter and a Standard Horizon radio, when I have had trouble with them I called their technical support they are very helpful and also KNOWLEDGEABLE and don't seem to swamped like companies tech support. I called them last week as the plotter quit talking to the radio, they told me step by step how to determine if it was the radio or the plotter that was at fault. The guy actually knew what he was talking about and not just reading off a check list. I would try giving them a call.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Kevy, I have the same radio but not the chart plotter. Could you be seeing the divergence due to distance from target.

Some plotters have a filtering feature to reduce the AIS clutter. Targets not moving or not in conflict (CPA not within say 1 NM) the AIS target is not shown.

The radio sets the range and shows all targets within that range. Sometimes it gets so crowed that only way to find them on the radio is to go to the "List" feature.

Kevy

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 320 Nanaimo
Another good point. I'll look into the range settings and see if that's an issue. Cheers.