Specialties pedestal on 1978 catalina 30 questions

mrreg

Jun 16, 2014
Catalina 30 8087 Alameda, CA
My 1978 C30 has a Specialties pedestal installed. In reviewing the old installation manual it noted that their was a need to install a bell crank at the atomic 4 engine side of the shift cable and throttle to create the proper shift direction of the levers at the helm. Does anyone have a diagram of how to accommodate this change at the engine side of the cable attachments?
Thanks for any help.
Russ Grant "Granted...At Last"
ps note: I do have my pedestal marked for ease of shifting in it's current configuration

russgrant43@gmail.com

Attachments

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Might try posting the Q?. over on the MoyerMarine Atomic 4 website?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My prior boat had the shifter backwards, as yours is. My next boat has the shift correct but the throttle reversed. In a panic situation I get very confused. Would be nice to have a properly oriented single lever shift/throttle control instead. I think the lewmar device will fit your pedestal.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I upgraded the handle assembly from Edson and the cable was suddenly backwards. A bellcrank made from a nice piece of brass accommodated the reversal, and now the whole thing works as labeled. The part fits over top of the existing mount on the transmission and extends the arm to the opposite side. The cable end mounting plate simply flipped to the other side, the mounting bolt lined up quite nicely, suggesting it was reversible.

mrreg

Jun 16, 2014
I upgraded the handle assembly from Edson and the cable was suddenly backwards. A bellcrank made from a nice piece of brass accommodated the reversal, and now the whole thing works as labeled. The part fits over top of the existing mount on the transmission and extends the arm to the opposite side. The cable end mounting plate simply flipped to the other side, the mounting bolt lined up quite nicely, suggesting it was reversible.
Thanks for the response. Do you have a photo that shows that installation?
Russ

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I don't. The boat is under two feet of snow in storage.
All I did was measure the bellcrank, made a new one that literally duplicated the existing one and extended it out the other side by the same dimensions. There were existing holes, in the factory one, so I used these as pilot holes to bolt the new one to. The new one is something like 3/16 higher than the factory one, and the cable was adjusted accordingly. The length of the throw is no different, just "backwards".

mrreg

Jun 16, 2014
I'm here in Alameda...SF Bay area...no snow...just rain....then a bit of blue sky to go fiddle with the boat...and sail too.
Thanks for the input.
RG