Spare outboard for a 25' C/b with inboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Leger

I just bought an O'day 25 C/B model. It has the 7 hp Vire gas inboard and she runs well. I'm looking to pick-up a used outboard to keep in the storage area under the cockpit to use as a back-up motor if(and when) the inboard is down for repairs. I'm thinking of going with a 5 hp motor to use as a back-up power source. Do you think a 5 hp will be enough power as a spare for getting on/off my mooring etc.?

P

Paul Palmer

Spare outboard

I have the Vire 7 inboard in my OD25. I have owned it 3 years and sail most weekends for 6 months each year. MY Vire engine has never failed to start or ever given me any trouble of any kind. They seem to be a very reliable and simple engine. If your's is like mine your outboard will probably rust away from lack of use. You might find that the loss of storage space (there is never enough) is not worth the security of the back up motor.

D

Don

Agree With Paul

Redundancy, with regards to an auxillery is a nice thought, but honestly, how often would you ever use it? Are you prepared to spend a couple of hundred dollars mounting your kicker, and what ever hundreds, or thousands of dollars on the kicker itself? If it was me I would rather spend the money on a dodger, or a bimini, or another downwind sail, or a roller reefing headsail system. If the Vire is prone to failure you can still sail home or ask for a tow. If your Vire is that unreliable why not save for a used diesel? Don

R

Rick Leger

Good advice Paul & Don - Thank you!

Paul & Don - Thanks for the advice regarding the spare "kicker" for my inboard O'day 25. I agree, why spend the money on a good spare motor that may be seldom used. For peace of mind though, I'm still going spend $100 - $200 for a motor bracket and install it myself. In the event a repair to the Vire inboard would put us out of sailing for any lenght of time, I can throw the old 1961 Johnson 10 h.p. that's been collecting dust in my basement on her and still be able to enjoy the boat while I repair the Vire. It was great to hear from Paul on the reliability of the Vire inboard. Thanks again guys, Rick P.S.-I'm sure this won't be the last request for advice you see from me......keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.