Spare Main Halyard?

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
We are the new owners of a 1981 Hunter 22. Weather is finally improving so we're finally able to get out and work on the boat. Looking at the mast there appear to be three halyards; one clearly for the jib, but looks like two for main. On this particular boat PO replaced jib & main halyards as they look fairly new. The second one running to top of mast looks like it could be original. Thoughts?

J

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
We are the new owners of a 1981 Hunter 22. Weather is finally improving so we're finally able to get out and work on the boat. Looking at the mast there appear to be three halyards; one clearly for the jib, but looks like two for main. On this particular boat PO replaced jib & main halyards as they look fairly new. The second one running to top of mast looks like it could be original. Thoughts?
J

If spare main halyard it would come out next to the other main halyard near top of the mast. If if comes out in from it's a spare jib halyard or a spinnaker halyard. In that last case, it would come out above the headstay or would be installed on a block higher on a bail above the headstay.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If it exits out of the back of the mast, it's a topping lift.

Nov 5, 2013
Hunter 22 1983 Lake Norman
I have a total of 4 sheaves at the bottom of my H22 mast. Two sheaves on the front and two sheaves on the back at the top. It's not a fractional rig. Two in front are, IMO, Jib and Spinnaker, two toward the back are main and spare main. Or maybe the 'spare' is just there for you to play with?? Lazy jack system?? The topping lift is permanent on mine, not adjustable at all, same material as the standing rigging. However, setting it up as a topping lift might not be a bad idea, since they didn't put anything on the backstay to hang the topping lift on.

I have no rope clutches on the port side, nor turning blocks. I think that might be a good adder, but I have concerns about the support under the cabin roof, not to mention plenty of other things that take more priority...