spare jib halyard as whisker pole topping lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Moretti

I've heard many people with Catalina 30's, like mine, say not to use a spare jib halyard as a spinnaker halyard. The tremendous forces to the side will pull the halyard off the masthead sheave. But what about using a spare jib halyard for a whisker pole topping lift? Has anyone had any problems doing this?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Not that I've heard

The left and right sheave are tightly fit so there's not much room up there... where is the halyard going even if it does jump. I think the greater concern is chafe. I suspect more chafe might occur using a whisker pole, than using a spinnaker pole, because it is always angled out quite a bit sideways due to it's clew connection. The spin pole, however, may sometimes be pulled back, but rarely more than 45 degrees, becuase it's attached to the tack. The abrasion might come from the halyard/top lift rubbing the side of the sheave and masthead fitting when the pole is pulled back pretty far. A spinnaker halyard block is mounted on a swivel to avoid this possibility. That said, I use my spare halyard for the top lift and keep an eye out for wear and tear. Someday I'll rig a dedicated topping lift with a swivel block fixed to the mast.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Masthead spinnaker crane

CatalinaDirect makes a masthead spinnaker crane for the 27. It mounts to the masthead fitting using the sheave pin, the forestay pin and the old spinnaker block pin. It moves the block attachment point forward and allows the block to rotate and give a fair lead on any point of sail. I'm not sure if the 30 has the same pin layout or if they have one to fit the 30. Might be worth a check.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
WHisker pole topping lift attachment

That crane fitting is cool, but for a whisker pole topping lift the block should be inside the forestay, unlike the spinnaker halyard which has to be outside. A heavy pad-eye near spreader height with a leather covered single swivel block is the set up I have. I prefer a bridle to a simple topping lift. Forespar has a good paper on this in the tech notes section of their web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.