Spare Haylard as Topping Lift for Spin Pole?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I’ve always seen the topping lift for the spin pole come from a block about 2/3 of the way up the mast. Is there any reason I cannot use the spare jib halyard as a spin pole topping lift? The only real difference is that it would be coming down from the very top of the mast. Seems like it should be fine. Am I missing anything?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Depending on how it's configured, it might cause the halyard to jump the sheave and get jammed. When hoisted the jib halyard is inline with the forestay so there would be very little sidewards force on it. A topping lift will have a sidewards force on it when the jib is poled out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I do it all the time. 20 years, no problems. The previous owner raced a lot... always used the second halyard. The pole is always stable on my boat... it doesn't jump around... the foreguy sees to that. It would seem logical, though, to check for chafe regularly if you're flying it quite a bit. One day I'll install a proper topping lift.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Racing is one activity that requires specific equipment to optimize the performance.

Or as a cruiser, you can ignore the extra halyard or line banging the mast and opt for an Asymmetrical Spinnaker that does not need a pole.