Spar-Tite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Thinking of using it on my boat. Anybody tried it, how did things work out?

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Sandy,

I installed Spar-Tite in our Pearson 36-2 in 1996. Since then we have sailed from the Chesapeake to Texas and back, to Maine and back three times and the normal sailing in between. The mast has not moved or leaked and it stopped the "squeks" from around the mast partners.

We have not had the mast out so I cannot coment on how it acted on removal and replacement.

Dave s/v ARIEL

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Thinking of using it on my boat. Anybody tried it, how did things work out?
I have a new kit that would fit your boat. I will give you a deal on it. PM me for more info.

Apr 18, 2007
Jeanneau Sun Oddysey 40.3 Chicago, IL, USA
I used this after I stripped and painted my spar. I can't say enough good things about it - worked completely as advertised. I've sold that boat since, but it looked as good the day I sold it as when it was installed.

I also pulled the mast at least once (LOL can't remember anymore) with no issue. Just be sure to apply the vaseline as specified in the instructions.

Bottom line - highly recommended by a satisfied user.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Thanks for the replies, now a related question. Do you apply (install?) it with the mast centered in the boat, but without final rigging tension, or do you completely tune the mast, then apply it?

If it matters, I have a single spreader masthead rig with inline and forward lowers, but no aft lowers. The mast is fairly bendy, in fact I have a little trouble getting as much headstay tension as I would like before bending the mast more than I want.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
That all depends on your rig Sandy. I have prebend in my rig that cannot be tuned until the mast wedge is in. That would imply that I would have to do the spartite before tuning my rig. You would generally do this the same time that you would wedge the mast. The people who step your mast should know.

BTW, the spartite I have I bought for a previous boat and then sold the boat before installing it. The new owner did not want it.

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Sandy,

I just removed the wedges and installed the Spar-Tite without slacking the rig. On my Pearson there is no pressure on the mast at the partner (deck) untill there is pressure on the sails. I suspect your Pearson is the same.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.