Soy Stripper

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2008
Santana 525 Bristol, PA Delaware River
I need to strip the bottom of my Oday 240 down to the gell coat. I have a coat of VC-17 and lord only knows what elese under that. I've been told that Soy Stripper works very well. Does anyone have first hand experience with this product?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...L=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=4&classNum=91

I know I need to wait until the temperature is above 60 degrees and that will be around April or early May in my neck of the woods.

Thanks!

John Allen
Oday 240
"Liberty"
Bristol, PA

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
Worst marine does it again

Got to think these two products are very similar chemical make up and therefore production cost must be close so why does Worst marine get $165 for a gallon and the other place get $135 for two and one half gallons !! :confused: Makes you wonder !! Richard thanks for the tip !:)

Sep 25, 2008
Bristol 43.3 Perth Amboy
Reviewed in Practical Sailor

Practical Sailor did a review and preferred west marine's brand of paste stripper over the soy safety strip.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Soy Stripper works GREAT. I have used it and like it!

I used in in colder temperature and it worked fine. I saw someone using the paper stripper and I told they it was too cold. The didn't listen and had to scrap all the paint off with tools. Not good for the gelcoat.

Here is a link to the brand I used.

http://www.franmar.com/index.php?cPath=44

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Prime Time are you sure

When I read Pratical Sailor the Soy base came out on top! Number One!

Don't use the paper. It is a big mess.

Sep 25, 2008
Bristol 43.3 Perth Amboy
updated review

In the more recent review, the west marine product that has replaced peel away came out on top.

Volume 34
Number 4
April 2008
Boat Paint Stripper Test: Top-Performing Antifoulant Remover Takes on West Marine’s New Entry

Franmar Soy Strip vs. West Marine’s Marine Paint Remover

Our last test of bottom paint strippers (November 2006) saw Franmar Soy Strip edge out perennial favorite Peel Away Marine Safety Strip bottom paint remover to become the Practical Sailor Best Choice in this boat maintenance category. After that review, we heard from several Practical Sailor subscribers who reported less-than stellar results from using the Franmar Soy Strip to remove their bottom-paint buildup. Conversations with the readers and manufacturers suggested that performance is greatly affected by ambient temperature. This convinced us of the need to retest the Franmar in cooler conditions than those of the 2006 test (a humid, 85-degree Virginia day). Reader reports also alerted us to a new…

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Thanks Prime Time.

I don't keep up with my reading the way I should.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.