southern sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed M

Planning to retire to the southern U.S. Need info on southern sailing, both fresh water and salt. Boat size in the 27 to 30 foot range. Thinking of florida, carolina's. Whats reasonable down there, in regards to housing

D

Dick Vance

Depends on your budget

Ed, Costs vary widely, both in living expense and marinas, so that it is difficult to answer your question. The Carolinas and the Georgia coast have some great sailing areas that I've sailed; from Pamlico sound to Savannah, but there can be some pretty rough weather during hurricane season and some cold weather. Florida, of course, offers warmer weather and widely varying sailing and expense. My favorite part of Fla is the Charlotte Harbor area around Punta Gorda, on the West coast. You have lots of day trip destinations; active sailing clubs; good marinas; and can travel up and down the coast. The Keys are a day or two sailing away and there is year round warm weather. There are many communities that aren't as expensive as the lower East coast. Worth looking in to. Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

M

marv otto

North Gulf Coast great for Southern sailing

I've lived in the New Orleans area for ten years. Lake Pontchartrain is great sailing area with many bayous, etc. on the north shore of the lake -- great for weekend cruises. Access to the Gulf of Mexico is a two day trip by sail from my east New Orleans marina. There are barrier islands along Mississippi Sound -- some good for visiting, others not. We sail twelve months a year -- sometimes the January/February days are cool. Advantage: The marina prices in New Orleans are low compared to the Florida peninsula. Can't speak re: housing costs. You might also consider the coasts of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida panhandle. These have beautiful beaches and also great sailing, especially in the Pensacola, Fort Walton, Destin area.

Status
Not open for further replies.