Southern Right-of-Way Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The Lake Marion, SC Coast Guard Auxiliary recently hosted a free boating safety and right-of-way seminar at Wateree Lake. They also offered a free meal with the seminar. Even with lots of publicity, only 3 people showed up. I have figured out why no one came. Why learn the laws when you already know the rules?

1) The biggest fastest boat always has the right-of-way.

2) The captain with his wife and family on board always has the right-of-way.
3) The captain with his girlfriend on board always has the right-of-way but must be more courteous.
4) Bass boats always have the right-of-way, especially 15 minutes before weigh-in.
6) The bass boat with the biggest catch always has more right-of-way than any other bass boat.

I'd love to hear all y'all's local right-of-way rules.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Benjmin,
You will always have the right-of-way over other sailboats. Yours will definitely be the biggest!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
the tonnage rule. he with the most, wins. test at your peril.

not a sailing rule but still funny.
Vegitarian: Old Indian word for Bad fisherman.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
The gross tonnage rule: 25,000 ton tanker vs 8 ton sailboat.

The three barely dressed bow bunnies rule: Do you think the captain is looking PAST the bow?

Violation of either of these right of way rules will get you run over.

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
Good so far...

I have noticed that here on Lake Murray that people (motoring or sail) are courteous. I have not had to take drastic measures yet, but I was mostly sailing during the week, and off season. I hope it stays that way.:dance:

luken7

Aug 21, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oriental
The drunk powerboater with no insurance has the right of let. Let that moron pass.

Jul 21, 2011
Squadron 36 Lake Wateree
luken7 said:
The drunk powerboater with no insurance has the right of let. Let that moron pass.
You just described 80% of boaters.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Might has right, i know, i worked on a sixty thousand ton tanker, and we always had right of way. What our captain thought of sailboat he would say, "watch what that WAFIE is doing" wafie, wind assisted freeking idiot" the thing is, lots of sailors, go for day sails round ports, and the rules of the road, say its very foolish, to impede the passage of a ship over 20 metres, that is making her final approaches to a port. We often had sailboat playing in our bow wave, but if something went wrong, their would be nothing we could do about it.

The rules my father used to tell me

When both lights i see ahead
starboard my wheel and show my red
green to green, red to red,
perfect safety full ahead

But if to starboard, red appears
It is my duty to keep clear
To act as judgement says is proper
To port or starboard, back or stop her.

If upon my port is seen
A steamers light of green
I hold my course, and wait to see
If green to port keeps clear of me.

When in danger with no room to turn
ease her stop and go astern.

When sailing vessels do appear
It is your duty to keep clear
But if your vessel is sailing too
Wind to port keeps clear of you

If both vessels head the same way
the leeward vessel has right of way

I cant remeber the whole thing, but it went on and on. Mainly i can remeber green to green red to red, etc.

Sep 25, 2008
The poor attendance could be due to the "lack of knowledge" of the instructors!
On Lake Murray, we have 4 county sheriff departments, as well as the Coast Guard Auxiliary and sometimes the Coast Guard actually will patrol.

Our Coast Guard Auxiliary has won awards for being most reliable on VHF 16! Kuddos!

Interestingly, the "Authorities" will approach sailing vessels at night to blurt out that "A 235 degree light forward is required" to which all my sailing buddies, and I, will simply turn the light on, to avoid the conflict, and to avoid attempting to educate the "Authorities" while sailing.
I keep two copies of the SC Boater's Safety Handbook of which if it comes to a real situation, I will offer it to the authority, and ask him/her to read "Night Navigation" on page 11, 3rd paragraph, final sentence. (Page 10 in some printouts)

As for Tonnage Rules statement, it is an over simplification of the rules. A large vessel needs much more time to turn, sometimes up to 3 miles ahead of time. They are basically "Constrained by draft".

The power boaters on Lake Murray believe the sailor has right away, enough so that when they are parked, just drifting, not underway, and they THINK we are heading toward them, they will crank up to move! Makes me feel guilty when this happens, so I try to stay well away from what may be perceived as a possible collision!

Oh, we have one at least boat on our waters, with their red/green lights on the wrong sides! That's confusing, so you have to look for their white light also, steaming or stern!

In the 6-Pack course, we were told that 99% of the boaters are unaware of the rules of the road, but 100% are still responsible for knowing the rules of the road! Words to live by!

As for the Bass Boaters, they only scare me at dawn, when my anchor lite is a "star" so I leave another light on in the cabin to light the windows, or other additional lighting.

Deaths on Lake Murray happen every year, at the same location, just outside of two marinas, and there is a debate on if the lights were on or not. The "No Wake" markers should be relocated to outside of this death area.

Unmarked Hazards such as overhead power lines are a big concern on our waters! A sailor cannot see these at dusk, and they are not marked, nor are they required to be marked in US waters! Private citizens have attempted to create a map containing the known locations, but there is limited distribution of course.

To end, boating safety is with the captain, and the captain is determined by who paid for the boat! Not the classes taken, experience, or other more important factors! I remember being care free with my first boat purchase, thinking "what harm can I do at 6 knots to anyone?" I was wrong, and so were the missing attendants to this training!
Mac

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
These seem more like the rules of the road to the Red Neck Yacht Club.

Back in my racing days I know of a sailboat that protested a cruise ship. It was quite a funny incident. They are probably still teasing that guy.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Back in my racing days I know of a sailboat that protested a cruise ship. It was quite a funny incident. They are probably still teasing that guy.
How do you protest a boat that is not racing?? I could see asking for redress for actions required due to the actions of a non-racing vessel; that happens all the time. Even I suppose to cruise ships! ;^)

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Interestingly, the "Authorities" will approach sailing vessels at night to blurt out that "A 235 degree light forward is required" to which all my sailing buddies, and I, will simply turn the light on, to avoid the conflict, and to avoid attempting to educate the "Authorities" while sailing.
I keep two copies of the SC Boater's Safety Handbook of which if it comes to a real situation, I will offer it to the authority, and ask him/her to read "Night Navigation" on page 11, 3rd paragraph, final sentence. (Page 10 in some printouts)
Posted because I just had to go find the citation, and I might as well share it. :D

http://www.boat-ed.com/sc/handbook/night.htm

Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
To end, boating safety is with the captain, and the captain is determined by who paid for the boat! Not the classes taken, experience, or other more important factors! I remember being care free with my first boat purchase, thinking "what harm can I do at 6 knots to anyone?" I was wrong, and so were the missing attendants to this training!
Mac[/quote]

Well stated Mac. I thought the same thing and then I took the ASA course at South Shore Marina (HIGHLY RECOMMEND).
On an aside note, If you ever need a crew on short notice, give me a ring.

Rich

Vic H.

Jan 15, 2012
Hinterholler Shark 24 Greenhaven, CT
We had a Hot Dog in our sailing club. When approaching on port tack he would shout "Port Tack Option". Many newbies would give him right of way! Me, I smile and hold course (+ his boat was worth about 4 times mine!)

Vic H.

These seem more like the rules of the road to the Red Neck Yacht Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.