Southern hallout

Mar 18, 2020
gulfstar 54 sailcruiser CRUISING EASTCOAST
In boston and heading south june 1st I am looking for a haulout august 1st with a relaunch in late feb.when i will continue on to the Bahamas ,looking for good marina no further south than Georgia.any recommendations? thankyou.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
You might try Marsh Harbor Boat Works in Beaufort SC. https://marshharborboatworks.com/

I don't have any financial interest in Marsh Harbor, just a satisfied customer. It is on the ICW about 45 miles north of the SC/Georgia border. You can come in off the ocean at Port Royal sound and up the Beaufort River under the McTeer bridge (be careful of the tides, it can be less than 65 feet at high tide and no height boards). There is good water all the way and enough tide to get by the thin spot at the entrance to Marsh Harbor (6ft at low tide - but a 7 to 8 foot tide range). Good yard if you need any work done too. They have a travel lift that should be able to handle your Gulfstar 54. Not sure of their availability for just a haul and storage or their rates. Peter Gamble is the owner.

There is also a haul out place on Dawtaw Island (near Beaufort SC too) but I'm not sure of the current operators or how you contact them. You can probably contact B757Capt on this forum. He is the fellow repairing (essentially rebuilding) his Hunter 40 and posts on his progress on this forum. That is where he is doing the work.

There is at lease one yard that hauls on the old Charleston Naval Base in Charleston SC. Good access from the ocean. Don't know its name though. There are a few yards just south of Savannah GA on the ICW at Thunderbolt. Good access from the ocean up the Savannah ship channel and then a short distance south on the ICW to Thunderbolt. Big yards with BIG boats. I believe one was a Hinkley yard. I'm not sure there is anything south of there to Florida but there may be one in Brunswick GA just above the Florida/Georgia line. Best of luck and I'd schedule it as soon as you know your plans since there is limited space at many of these yards.