Southbound

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
We’re heading from Belfast ME again to the Bahamas and beyond. Someone asked for trip reports along the way and I’m happy to post here now and then.

The beginning of the trip was delayed by refrigeration problems. The engine driven mode of our Seafrost system was not working at all. With a freezer full of meats this was something that had to be fixed. Two refrigeration techs, one in Belfast and one in Yarmouth, diagnosed a problem, fixed it and thought everything was fine. It wasn’t. We found a guy in Portsmouth NH who had worked at Seafrost for 15 years and knew his stuff. He quickly determined that the problem was the valve in the freezer box, drove to Seafrost to pick up a new one, installed it and all was well again. If you have a Seafrost system and are in northern New England, let me know and I’ll give you contact information for him.

Along the way to Portsmouth we stopped at Goose Island and Gosport Harbor where we tied up to “destination moorings” as I’ve done for many years. I hope the campaign to do away with them is not soon successful. If someone is willing to provide a free mooring, nearly always available, to all visitors I’m all for it.

After Portsmouth we stopped, as always, in Gloucester. The construction work in the waters by the harbormaster’s office is nearly complete and a dinghy dock is once again available. The town mooring price has risen to $40 (first night, second night less) which should include more than it does but we love the own anyway. We took advantage of the Italian section of town for expressos and pastries at Caffe SIcilia, upscale grocery shopping at Virgilio’s and The Cave, and a haircut from Salvatore (Sal) Pallazzono.

We usually go from Gloucester to Provincetown on the east side of Massachusetts Bay. This trip the winds favored the west side so we anchored in Hull Bay instead. That gave us a nice beam reach to the Cape Cod Canal where we just barely caught the last of the ebb current and dropped anchor in Onset Bay. (Hi Dave!)

After a fast sail out Buzzards Bay we stopped in Newport to top off the fuel tanks. We were expecting to be motoring most of the way to Cape May with light winds and that proved to be the case. After a night anchored in Newport we motored through a flat calm to Block Island where we rowed to the beach and walked to town. We were back aboard early enough to sail across to Montauk thereby shortening the passage to Cape May.

The wind picked up enough for us to sail the last 40 miles of that overnight passage and we made it into Cape May by 2:00 this afternoon. Tomorrow’s forecast threatens showers, thunderstorms and 30 kt winds so we’ll rest up with a lay day.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Chris, do you know the Nickersons (Mike and Meg) in Belfast?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Thanks, Chris. I will be sailing along with you vicariously through this thread. Do you have Marine SSB or Ham SSB on board? Just curious.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Cleve at Seafrost has been very helpful when minor issues pop up. I love having both engine and 12 volt systems for the redundancy. But also, the engine drive will refreeze the box FAST after a defrosting or when loading up with a lot of fresh meats that need quick freezing.

Fuel is pretty cheap at Point Judith, I think quite a bit less than Newport. Cheapest fuel on the east coast is almost always at Top Rack, mile 9 on the ditch between Norfolk and Great Bridge.

Feb 28, 2013
I have an Icom SSB that I use strictly to get weather when outside the US/Canada.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do you have an AIS transceiver? That way folks could follow you on MarineTraffic.com.

Feb 28, 2013
Yep. We broadcast on AIS most places, except when heading south from Duncantown. You can probably find us anchored in Cape May tonight and tomorrow.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Chris, I'm glad you're posting your trip south. Hope you add photos for us to enjoy.

Along the way to Portsmouth we stopped at Goose Island and Gosport Harbor where we tied up to “destination moorings” as I’ve done for many years. I hope the campaign to do away with them is not soon successful. If someone is willing to provide a free mooring, nearly always available, to all visitors I’m all for it.
These moorings are definitely NOT "destination moorings". Gosport Harbor, like Belfast or Rockport, is a regulated harbor. There are mooring regulations as to :numbers, location, sizing, inspection, etc.

The New Hampshire Port Authority http://www.portofnh.org/moorings.html regulates Gosport Harbor and you'd have to get on a long waiting list to place a mooring.

You can't place a "destination mooring" in Gosport Harbor anymore than you can Belfast or Rockport.

Because anchoring is discouraged(and near impossible) in Gosport Harbor, these private moorings aren't taking away our right to anchor like the typical destination mooring placed in our anchorages.

In Gosport, a few clubs own moorings and allow usage (on some) for transients. But you have to get off if a member wants it.

That works well for those of us traveling by the Isle of Shoals, especially in the spring and fall. It's the same as picking up any private mooring in a regulated harbor this time of year in the NE.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2013
Tom, thanks for the clarification about Gosport. Whenever I pick up a vacant mooring, I rarely know who my benefactor is unless it says "YC" which are my favorites. In all the years I've been doing this I haven't yet been asked to leave.

The US east coast seems so familiar to me that I seldom think of photographing it. I'll try to change that.

Jun 15, 2009
Vancouver 32 Portland/Falmouth
I too will follow and enjoy another vicarious journey. Maybe catch you down east this summer.